River bends and a teeter-totter

scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
edited January 4, 2009 in Landscapes
After failing to reach the "horseshoe bend" of the Horseshoe Bend Trail alongside the North Fork Nooksack River due to darkness, I returned yesterday. I did some investigation in Google Earth and discovered that there was another horseshoe bend that appeared to be more condusive to photo taking. The problem was that it is hidden from view if you're on the trail side of the river.

0.6 miles of cross country travel alongside a river- how hard could it be? :scratch

*Ahem*...

I tried using snowshoes for most of the trip out but found them useless due to all the climbing up, down, and around all of the downed timber. Certainly A LOT more taxng than I had anticipated but I managed to arrive at my destination, postholing the rest of the way. Here are two views. I prefer the perspective of #1 but too many distractive components (couldn't do much about that).

Perspective #1:

448126806_THSBJ-XL.jpg

Perspective #2:

448126787_yRkNu-XL.jpg

Just a bit downstream of my destination, there was this interesting bit of natural art- a teeter-totter! Pretty neat..

448125257_TgZzd-L.jpg

Comments

• AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Looks like the effort was worth it very nice. Were you trying to use the MSR's?. Think I'm going to give them a try along with the NEOS Navigator5 overboots.

Ray Still
  • zonasuezonasue Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 3, 2009
    Looks like the trek was quite worth it. Good exercise too, I bet:) I'm partial to pic #1, looks like the water is slightly turbulent and refuses to freeze over. Also, I like in pic #3 that the snow covered log looks like it is balancing on the rock, a natural sculpture, so to speak.
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Great shots. Agree with #1 as the perspective that shows it as a bend in the river. #2 flows right on out the bottom.

Teetering log makes it all worthwhile.

Glad you made it with no broken pieces parts.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Thanks, everyone. It didn't quite match what I had envisioned but I have no complaints. The decidious trees along the river make it look like it might be really neat during fall colors so I may think about heading back at that time...

Ray-

Yes- I was using my MSR snowshoes. The problematic conditions I had would have been the same no matter what brand of snowshoes. Since you're up here in the PNW, you can imagine what the understory of our forests are like with all the windfall & obstacles that hinder cross country travel!

I was one of the folks over on the NP website who advocated in favor of MSR snowshoes. From your post over there, I followed the link to your website. I have to say Ray that you have a great gift for capturing our PNW streams. You have a number of great photos! I've added Ruckel Creek to my list of places to visit! :D

Steve
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    You are a crazy man!

I like the panoramic crop of the first the best. The snow really adds to these shots.

That's certainly a gorgeous part of the state, I was along the Skagit River yesterday for the eagles, and it was much the same.