Canon/Nikon equipment circularity?

jefferaijefferai Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited January 5, 2009 in Cameras
Hello,

About two years ago I bought my first DSLR -- a Digital Rebel XTi. I had to choose between that and the D80 before I went away on a three week vacation to Hawaii. Obviously the Nikon gear would have been a bit more expensive, but the defining factor in the end was that I was able to get the Rebel before I left, and was not able to get the D80 (which was okay, since the price difference also allowed me to get a grip, a nice bag, an extra battery, and more).

At the time, Canon seemed to have had the upper hand with bodies, and I heard about a "mass migration" of longtime camera users from Nikon to Camera because of Canon's lens image quality. Now, having watched reviews carefully over the past few years, Nikon seems like they're coming out with bodies that are wiping Canon all over the floor. But you still see the "Sea of White" at sporting events and the like.

So here's my question for those more experienced than I: I have a body, a good flash, and two lenses -- a decent amount, but not that much (although I do love my 70-200mm f/4 IS L lens). It's not too late for me to sell my gear and switch to Nikon if that is a better option. But is there a circularity that takes place between the two, where Nikon has the better bodies/lenses for a while, then Canon shapes up and gets their act together and starts producing great stuff again, then Nikon licks their wounds and comes forth with their new Canon-killers...? Does Nikon generally have the upper hand and Canon's recent reign at the top was a fluke?

I know that many of the Canon lenses are still fantastic (like my 70-200 f/4, which doesn't require a tripod and is compact and light enough to easily carry around), and I don't really know about lenses on the Nikon side. Are Canon's lenses generally better, and would switching systems trade the better lens for the better body?

(I know the adage that it's not about the equipment but who's behind it...but having the best equipment can't hurt either. :-) )

Thoughts appreciated. I'd especially love knowing if this is a pattern that repeats over the years between the two.

Thanks!

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    jefferai wrote:
    Nikon seems like they're coming out with bodies that are wiping Canon all over the floor.
    :lurk
  • jefferaijefferai Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 3, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    :lurk

Thanks for the oh-so-useful reply.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Counter question: Do you want to take good photographs or own the best camera?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    jefferai wrote:
    Thanks for the oh-so-useful reply.
    Chill out.

Kdog is tagging this thread, he wants to lurk and hear what's going on.
    edited January 3, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Counter question: Do you want to take good photographs or own the best camera?

Take good photographs. As I said, I know that what is behind the camera is more important than the camera itself.

However, the bodies and lenses can have varied effects on the picture -- noise/sharpness/contrast/dynamic range/chromatic abberation/etc. etc., some of which can be corrected in post processing and some of which cannot, and no one likes a shot ruined by weak equipment. Many professional photographers have preferences ranging from minor to fanatic for one side or the other. So for someone like me, that does not own a significant investment in equipment -- yet -- I rely on things like reviews (such as on dpreview) to help me ensure that as my investment increases that I will feel like I made the right one.

Right now I'm at a point where I can switch, before I own too much equipment to make switching infeasible. So I'm trying to figure out whether doing so makes sense...whether Canon glass still makes my current investment worthwhile, even if Nikon bodies are currently winning top prizes, or whether I should consider switching to a Nikon system.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    The upper level Canon and Nikon cameras all share some extremely desirable attributes. Any talk of one being "amazingly" better than the other is seriously erroneous.

The same conclusions can be made for lenses. Both companies make excellent lenses.

Hasty generalizations are rarely valuable.

Specific cameras do have specific advantages and disadvantages. If you have specific models you wish to discuss, feel free to mention them.

Likewise, if you have specific applications you need to cover, some cameras may be more suited than others. Feel free to mention the applications and we can probably provide suggestions for suitable solutions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    What do you need your cameras to do?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    What do you need your cameras to do?
    Or, to put it differently, what is it you want/need to do that your current camera is unable to do for you? Is your equipment limiting your work in any way that another body will/might be able to resolve the issue for you?

If you have specific answers to these questions, then it might be time to look at another camera body. But, I would council you to look to Canon first since you are already invested, to some degree, in that line. If, after finding that there is nothing in the Canon line that will meed your needs and there is in some other manufacturer and the cost of conversion is not too high (remember you have to account for the price of the new equipment and the amount you are going to loose on the sale of your used equipment) - then it might be worth while to think about conversion.

But, remember this as well .... the pendulum swings both ways. For a while Canon may have the advantage and, before you can turn around, some other manufacturer (usually Nikon) will have the upper hand. Only to loose it in sort order. The tide to Nikon that has been the subject of many posts ever since the Olympics will soon reverse.
  • atbatb Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I have a Nikon D80, which I purchased mainly due to the lens that I had for my Nikon F601. I mainly do landscape and outdoor photography. If you read many of the photo sites out there you will find that the Canon sensors are the sharpest for the landscape application. Should I sell my Nikon? Probably not. Because really, the difference between the two is pretty minimal in real terms. If I was making prints 6ft wide and selling them, I may reconsider. However, I'm not so does it matter? And, for what I am doing, just trading up to a better Nikon body would greatly improve the quality of my shots from a sharpness and grain perspective.

My message here is that you have already invested in some good equipment - Canon Lenses. Body's are getting to be disposable these days. Try a better body in the Canon line and see if you like it.

And, to reiterate what many have said here, don't get caught up in the feeds and speeds of this brand versus that brand. Concentrate on making good images and enjoy your photographic passion!

Cheers and good luck...Andrew

Andrew Barton - Life & Landscape
    http://nowhereimages.smugmug.com/
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    For most photographers (certainly, for me), their current equipment is not usually the limiting factor.

And irrespective of whatever amazing new equipment models come along, the specification and capability of your present equipment remains the same as when you bought it! :D
    edited January 3, 2009
    Thanks
    Thanks for the posts to the people who replied.

It's not that my current camera is unable to do anything specific, only that if I should ever consider switching, now is the best time for me to do so (while I have minimal lens investment). (I am absolutely aware that switching systems or camera bodies will not fix bad photography; that has nothing to do with my question, as I know that no body or lens will fix a poorly taken shot.)

From comments here and elsewhere, it sounds like my best bet would be to stick to what I already do have, which is not much, and save any money I would spend in a switch on more lenses :-)
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    jefferai wrote:
    Thanks for the posts to the people who replied.

It's not that my current camera is unable to do anything specific, only that if I should ever consider switching, now is the best time for me to do so (while I have minimal lens investment). (I am absolutely aware that switching systems or camera bodies will not fix bad photography; that has nothing to do with my question, as I know that no body or lens will fix a poorly taken shot.)

From comments here and elsewhere, it sounds like my best bet would be to stick to what I already do have, which is not much, and save any money I would spend in a switch on more lenses :-)

I think going for more lenses makes good sense! But I also don't think it is beyond reason to own several makes of camera and get whatever use you can from them. I suspect that different cameras do different things better..so owning more than one brand can seem to make sense. These are tools.

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Gear worship is common, thinking if I only had this new body/lens/flash that somehow I'd be able to take better pics, especially if you are starting out. So don't worry, I think most of us have been there.

The XTi will produce fine results and exceed the capabilities of much of it's owners IMO. Now if you are finding that there is something specific that you don't get from Canon that you can from Nikon then it may be worth switching to.

As for outright image quality between Canon and Nikon, at similar levels, I think the difference is not significant. Since Nikon moved to CMOS sensors, the noise levels seems about the same. The dynamic range seems about the same. The main difference seems to be in body design ergonomics.

Canon/Nikon battle is like Ford/GM, one keeps coming up to up the other guy and if you switch to Nikon now, you may find yourself migrating back and forth and back and forth and back and forth.

So unless you find a specific thing lacking in the Canon system that you need/want that Nikon offers, I'd probably not make the change and just go out and shoot shoot shoot.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    I think going for more lenses makes good sense!

Great glass will last you through upgrades and serve you better in the long run. Nikon and Canon both make excellent systems and sometimes one or the other will make a slightly better system than the other, but that should never be the deciding factor.
    Choose a system based on your needs and your future goals. Keep in mind that it is the glass that will keep you brand locked in the long run.
    If you like Canon, stick with it and invest in good glass. This will help your photos more than any body.
    Steve

Website
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    jefferai wrote:
    However, the bodies and lenses can have varied effects on the picture -- noise/sharpness/contrast/dynamic range/chromatic abberation/etc. etc., some of which can be corrected in post processing and some of which cannot, and no one likes a shot ruined by weak equipment.

Equipment angst is unnecessary. Nikon and Canon would not be market
    leaders if they produced only weak equipment.
    jefferai wrote:
    Take good photographs. As I said, I know that what is behind the camera is more important than the camera itself.

Yet you don't seem to truly understand what it means:

Ernest Hemingway: "Good pictures, what camera do you use?"
    Irving Penn: "What typewriter do you use?"
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    If you look at the camera systems now available to us there are really no bad choices out there. Its no longer a choice between Canon and Nikon. Sony, Pentax and Olympus also have excellent options. For example here's a report on the A900.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    I choose Nikon because I like the handling and better feel. Some choose Canon for the same thing. My pictures would not look different from either system and I could do work with both and have. I just find Nikon more intuitive for the way I shoot.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    This type of discussion is full of the usual platitudes. Yes, of course, it's all in YOU. Truisms aside, what's missing for you that your adopted system doesn't do? I would say 80% of that is solvable or adaptable.

I think you should figure out if you're concerned about features or about image quality. In my view, there's no appreciable difference in IQ in real terms across the brands. I'm not factoring in advances in ISO sensitivity.
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    jefferai wrote:
    Now, having watched reviews carefully over the past few years, Nikon seems like they're coming out with bodies that are wiping Canon all over the floor. But you still see the "Sea of White" at sporting events and the like.

Those are Nikons. Nikon lenses last so long that eventually the black wears off. mwink.gif
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Hi Jeff,
    I'm a Nikon kinda guy, always have been, always will be unless Nikon tanks. This is mainly because when I bought my first slr in Japan, Nikon was really the only game in town and Canon wasn't on the horizon. This being said, if you have good Canon glass, and a decent body, stick with it, maybe upgrade your body. I think this flip-flopping between Nikon and Canon is mostly marketing hype and is going nowhere because both deliver superb quality. My $.02 worth is stay with what you are comfortable with and invest in better glass to meet specific needs.mwink.gif

Regards,
    John