Shooting Smoke.

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited January 3, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I'd been considering doing this for a while.
Smoke1DSC_1473.jpg
Confusion

Smoke2DSC_1456.jpg
Double Trouble

Smoke3DSC_1508.jpg
All Seeing

Smoke4DSC_1492.jpg
Wraparound

I thought I knew what to expect, but imagine my surprise at seeing what seem to be individual smoke particles (see image three).

Thank you.
Comments welcome.
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    These are pretty cool shots. The third one you could almost see a small animal's head. What did you use for lighting?
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Very cool! The second looks the best to me, the simplicity of the shapes makes it :D

What did you use for backgrounds and light?
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Very cool indeed. Like the little bit of color in #1, but #2 makes it easier to imagine it's a flower :-)

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Hi Lee,

Man, these are fantastic. That third one is truly captivating. Some really, really good stuff here.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Thank you everyone, for your very kind comments.

Clemensphoto: That's why I titled it as I did. I distinctly saw a head with an eye, nose and forehead. By allowing my eyes and imagination to wander I could almost see a body, too.

Clemensphoto and Pyry: I used one strobe with barndoors at about 10:00 o'clock (the smoke kept drifting into it), and black foamcore for the background. The color was added using curves in PhotoShop, although I think the prominent blue came from the TV, which was just to the left and behind the foamcore. (I had some cartoons on. :D)
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather