HS Hoops Invitational

OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
edited January 4, 2009 in Sports
Boys and Girls holiday tournament in Kalamazoo, MI. I decided to push my ISO comfort level and shot these at 1600 & 3200, 70-200 AFSVR f2.8 @ 1/320-1/500 on my D300, auto WB. PP in PSCS3, levels, NoiseNinja and USM. C&C welcome.

Regards,
John

448148941_YDhKH-L-1.jpg

448149740_aGj9F-L-1.jpg

448150260_o2nv3-L-1.jpg

448150883_cpbmX-L-1.jpg

448151673_SLP9V-L-1.jpg

448153215_iFudF-L-1.jpg

448154030_BYSRS-L-1.jpg

448156373_fQwnG-L-1.jpg

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    You've caught some nice action here. But there is way too much noise reduction here - resulting in the plastic look. If you still have the original photos try processing again with less agressive noise reduction. At 3200, if properly exposed you shouldn't need a lot of noise reduction. But the key to that is proper exposure. At 2.8 I would be amazed if you could shoot at 1600 and get properly exposed shots at 1/400 - 1/500. That's a full stop better than most HS gyms I shoot in.

Correct that issue and I think you'll have some very nice shots here
  • OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    johng wrote:
    You've caught some nice action here. But there is way too much noise reduction here - resulting in the plastic look. If you still have the original photos try processing again with less agressive noise reduction. At 3200, if properly exposed you shouldn't need a lot of noise reduction. But the key to that is proper exposure. At 2.8 I would be amazed if you could shoot at 1600 and get properly exposed shots at 1/400 - 1/500. That's a full stop better than most HS gyms I shoot in.

Correct that issue and I think you'll have some very nice shots here

Thanks John. Good points. I am still not comfortable shooting over 1600 and I admit I was more focused on not over sharpening than the noise reduction. I always save the original, so I will reprocess and see what happens. Thanks again.

John
  • Anderson-PhotographyAnderson-Photography Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 3, 2009
    OldGuy wrote:
    Thanks John. Good points. I am still not comfortable shooting over 1600 and I admit I was more focused on not over sharpening than the noise reduction. I always save the original, so I will reprocess and see what happens. Thanks again.

John

I agree with John. Too much post processing with the noise reduction. A little noise isn't going to ruin your photos but I'm also speaking a newspaper sports shooter where a little noise isn't going to be an issue.
    If you're shooting to sell prints have you thought about alower ISO to reduce noise but then using strobes?
  • OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    I agree with John. Too much post processing with the noise reduction. A little noise isn't going to ruin your photos but I'm also speaking a newspaper sports shooter where a little noise isn't going to be an issue.
    If you're shooting to sell prints have you thought about alower ISO to reduce noise but then using strobes?

Thanks Chris, my next line of attack will be to use flash, although I used them before, I wasn't happy with the shadows. I'll figure it out.

Regards,
    John