The boys now 2&4

christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited January 4, 2009 in People
Hi All,

I haven't done much shooting recently, lens and camera....Canon Error 99 :(

Figured out that the problem was with one lens, so have been using my 50mm.

Anyway, here are a few shots for those interested. As alsways C&C welcomed so I can learn and improve.

Happy new year.

397145508_kdmUj-L.jpg
1. James

448388499_orwtP-L.jpg
2. James at his 2nd birthday party.

448336172_DGj3z-L.jpg
3. James and Matthew in the park.

448330682_VVRyM-L.jpg
4. Matthew. This looks a little flat - no 'pop'
C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    You've got some great shot there Chris...and very cute kids!
    I especially like the first and second ones. The light in those is great and you nailed the sharpness as well as getting great compositions.
    Only nit on 3 is that I would have liked the camera moved so that the older boy is further to the right of the photo and the legs weren't cut off.
    As for the last, you did great in what look like pretty harsh lighting conditions. Did you use fill flash for that one? I don't see catchlights so I don't think so. It can make all the difference in the world and I have just started using mine more. I usually set it at -1 2/3 to -2 FEC so that it doesn't compete with natural light but gives those catchlights and a bit of 'pop'.
    Nice work!
    E

ps - as for the error99, try cleaning the contacts on your lenses. that sometimes can help. just use an alcohol swab on the golden contacts.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    As for the last, you did great in what look like pretty harsh lighting conditions. Did you use fill flash for that one? I don't see catchlights so I don't think so. It can make all the difference in the world and I have just started using mine more. I usually set it at -1 2/3 to -2 FEC so that it doesn't compete with natural light but gives those catchlights and a bit of 'pop'.

Along the fill flash note, do you have an external flash or just the one on the camera? If you've got an external flash I highly recommend setting it to High Speed Sync so that you can still use your faster shutter speeds and have it do the job of fill most effectively (otherwise you'll often find it changing your shutter to a lot different than you wanted it). Love the first ones, try fill flash in the future on the latter :)