Practicing with walls :)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 5, 2009 in People
After Jeffreaux's "tutorial" in another thread about shooting portraits against walls, I had the chance to put the ideas he imparted into practice this afternoon. C&C of course welcomed!!!

The In-House Model again (and lest you all think she's as enthusiastic about doing this as it appears, let me put your minds to rest: she can turn it off and on for the camera like a lightswitch, and is getting SICK TO DEATH of being asked to pose! I haven't actually resorted to bribery, but it does help, uh, smooth things along if there's something she really wants to do on either side of the photo session.... :D)

Anyway, just a few more - it was a dull, cloudy sky for most of today, but made for some nice shadowless light at least. I really need to find a "system" for makin sure I remember to manually select the focus point - the Tamron focuses so easily and quickly (unlike the 50 1.8) that I sometimes just start shooting without having my attention drawn to focusing issues and have blown some good shots that way :doh

Processing differently on this batch and not sure I've quite got the measure of it - are they coming over flat or are they ok? (Gah... can't WAIT till I've saved up for a monitor calibrator! Very glad I got the lens, but it does mean the monitor calibrator will have to wait until I've rebuilt the piggy bank...)

448827503_DMskv-L.jpg

448818510_Wq9f3-L.jpg

448818407_c46Tw-L.jpg
(this was before I managed to persuade her to remove the cat ears which are usually surgically attached to her head.... )

And here's where we actually were - a series of old lime kilns, which was kind of neat, I thought

448818348_jeQqV-S.jpg

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Holy Smokes, Divamom. I see some incredible growth here. I think back to your first post and compare that to these beautiful photos. Wowzers.

Have you ordered the first one yet!? Order it now and get it big! Hang it on the wall and then go buy yourself a dozen roses to celebrate!
    You got it going on.

What a cool location! Keep that one in your regular portrait places.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Holy Smokes, Divamom. I see some incredible growth here. I think back to your first post and compare that to these beautiful photos. Wowzers.

Have you ordered the first one yet!? Order it now and get it big! Hang it on the wall and then go buy yourself a dozen roses to celebrate!
    You got it going on.

What a cool location! Keep that one in your regular portrait places.

:blush::

Heather, those pictures of your daughter's first day of kindergarten were some of the ones which inspired me to stop messing about and finally figure out HOW to do all the beautiful things I saw in here, so wow - thank you for the kind words! bowdown.gifbow

The location is really neat - we had another great walk today and are just sitting here enjoying some hot cocoa now we're home. School's back tomorrow, so it was a nice way to finish the holiday!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Yep - a great way to end the school holiday. I can't believe how far you've come in just a few short weeks. These are some tremdeous shots!
    edited January 4, 2009
    I can't believe how far you've come in just a few short weeks. These are some tremdeous shots!

Well, if I have it's thanks to all of you nudging me along so patiently and generously - honestly, I couldn't have done it on my own!!! iloveyou.gif

Thanks!!!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    After Jeffreaux's "tutorial" in another thread about shooting portraits against walls,

Didn't you get the memo about never referring to a really awesome thread without linking to it? headscratch.gif I'll have to make sure you're on the distribution list! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    thumb.gif

Really nice shots AND location!!!

I think, for the sake of some minor improvement, having her to lean into the wall with one shoulder.....bringin the back most shoulder around a small bit toward the camera may help.....at least at this camera angle.

She is young, and can get away with more variety in posing than an adult for sure, but......

Be sure shes not flat to the wall. Her butt shouldnt touch it....only the shoulder.

Very nice DOF on these. Makes me want to get out with my girls for some photos!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Great photos of your daughter! Love them. I agree with others that you've made enormous progress since the shots you posted a while back (I hope I've done the same). I see she brought along the cat ears! It reminds me of how much my kids dictate to me how I'm going to take their photo, after all they're doing a huge favor to even consent to pose for me.

I've been using walls a lot in the past few months, especially the stone wall at my daughters' school when I was doing the school portraits. They make wonderful backgrounds that really let the subject shine.

Caroline
    edited January 4, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Didn't you get the memo about never referring to a really awesome thread without linking to it? headscratch.gif I'll have to make sure you're on the distribution list! thumb.gif

:hide ::true confession:: I couldn't remember whether it was in the one Dan or Aaron posted yesterday and I was rushing to get out the door to go get some dinner (that was loads o' walking in the hills this afternoon!) so I neglected to link it. Mea culpa, mea culpa!!! :whip

I've now gone back and found it... and it's here :D
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    :hide ::true confession:: I couldn't remember whether it was in the one Dan or Aaron posted yesterday and I was rushing to get out the door to go get some dinner (that was loads o' walking in the hills this afternoon!) so I neglected to link it. Mea culpa, mea culpa!!! :whip

I've now gone back and found it... and it's here :D

Awesome. I missed that post, and I'm glad to have seen it. Thanks!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    You captured those walls beautifully :D:D:D...oh wait....very cute in house model.....ya know...an IPod Touch can get some really great poses rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited January 4, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    thumb.gif

Really nice shots AND location!!!

I think, for the sake of some minor improvement, having her to lean into the wall with one shoulder.....bringin the back most shoulder around a small bit toward the camera may help.....at least at this camera angle.

She is young, and can get away with more variety in posing than an adult for sure, but......

Be sure shes not flat to the wall. Her butt shouldnt touch it....only the shoulder.

Very nice DOF on these. Makes me want to get out with my girls for some photos!

Thanks!

I'm really lovin' the location - this is actually the same country park we went to the other day, only we walked around the longer trail this time... which includes these lime kilns - it's very cool. The funny thing? It's about 10 minutes from our house - and I didn't even know it was THERE until a few weeks ago!

I've made a note of the posing tips - very helpful. That said, on this occasion it wouldn't have made much difference because the terrain was such that leaning back was kind of the only option rolleyes1.gif

449056446_Ni5CB-M.jpg

Looking at this I really do have to give her credit for being awfully accommodating to crazy shutterbug mom (it didn't feel that steep at the time, I swear it didn't! lol) I think her Drama Queen In Training secretly likes the results of the pictures... although that doesn't stop her pulling stupid faces, turning away, putting something over her head or giving me that, "Mom. No. More. Pictures. EVER AGAIN" look - I definitely have lots of outtakes....rolleyes1.gifrofl
    edited January 4, 2009
    Great photos of your daughter! Love them. I agree with others that you've made enormous progress since the shots you posted a while back (I hope I've done the same). I see she brought along the cat ears! It reminds me of how much my kids dictate to me how I'm going to take their photo, after all they're doing a huge favor to even consent to pose for me.

I've been using walls a lot in the past few months, especially the stone wall at my daughters' school when I was doing the school portraits. They make wonderful backgrounds that really let the subject shine.

Caroline

Thanks Caroline!

Oh my gosh, those cat ears. She's finally agreed (reluctantly) that tjey will be retired this summer before she starts middle school next year .....

What I find amazing is how easy she finds it to light up for the camera. She'll be standing there staring into space or grumgling about not wanting me to take pictures, then turns to camera and BAM - she's right there, total control, on demand. I know I couldn't do that!!
    edited January 4, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    You captured those walls beautifully :D:D:D...oh wait....very cute in house model.....ya know...an IPod Touch can get some really great poses rolleyes1.gif

sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... don't let her hear you - she's already lobbying for me to pay her! I told her if I ever get to the point where I can consider a paying gig that she can hold reflectors and I'll throw $5 her way :Drolleyes1.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I'm enjoying watching your enthusiasm and progress, divamum! clap.gif And I can sooo relate to the ups and downs that come with capturing your child. My son always wants to know the exact number of shots I will take so he can count down to his freedom! rolleyes1.gifI have resorted to bribery as well.

I loved your self-portraits and I wish I had seen the STE2 thread earlier as I may have just slipped that in as a last minute Christmas gift!

Keep up your terrific work!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited January 5, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    I'm enjoying watching your enthusiasm and progress, divamum! clap.gif And I can sooo relate to the ups and downs that come with capturing your child. My son always wants to know the exact number of shots I will take so he can count down to his freedom! rolleyes1.gifI have resorted to bribery as well.

I loved your self-portraits and I wish I had seen the STE2 thread earlier as I may have just slipped that in as a last minute Christmas gift!

Keep up your terrific work!

Boy, you guys are great for my ego! Thanks for all the nice comments!

I really shouldn't tease about my young'un - she's such a great kid and just such FUN. Sure, partly I use to her to practice these photoskills because she's a photogenic and (relatively!) easy-to-grab model, but I also am so happy that it's generating lots of times where we go out and do goofy stuff together, and that I get to "keep" some of these moments with her - she's just starting to transition into that pre-adolescent phase, and every day I'm reminded that she won't really be "ours" for much longer as we'll be relegated to "Boring Old Parents" soon. I treasure every moment we spend together, however silly it may sometimes be! iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.giflust