Big sky? C&C

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 5, 2009 in Landscapes
I don't usually post here in landscapes, but a chance capture while out walking this afternoon prompts me to check in over here.

Wasn't until I saw the exif that I realised I was still on 2.8 (had been shooting portraits) - the dof isn't that big a deal given the distance, but the lens is sharper stopped down and it's a shame that I didn't take advantage of that.

However... thoughts? Debating whether to use it for the current Challenge which is running. C&C would be welcomed!

448837063_DaSkg-L.jpg

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    can i do some alteration? it would be better to see than having me try to write...
    Aaron Nelson
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    can i do some alteration? it would be better to see than having me try to write...

sure - be my guest! I'm WAY out of my depth on this - it's just not something I ever do, so consider me pretty much total n00b territory :D

ETA: I didn't do much post to it - a touch of saturation, sharpening and a crop and that's about it. I figured I'd post it and then start messing with it rather than messing with it first only to be told it looked like garbage on anybody else's monitor! :D
    edited January 4, 2009
    let me know if you like this or not...

the dof did ruin it for me...

but i could see this composition and went with it...
    it seems to make the sky the subject which was your intent, but you always need something in the fg to make it interesting....

i silhouette-d the darks because there was no detail there. (which i love sihlouette anyway)

just bumped the highlights up a little on the whites.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 4, 2009
    if i would have noticed when doing this i would have made the blue more true....but i did this in a hurry...in fact i gotta go to work right now...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 4, 2009
    if i would have noticed when doing this i would have made the blue more true....but i did this in a hurry...in fact i gotta go to work right now...

Hey, thanks Aaron. Not sure about portrait - in my head I see it as wiiiidddeee (probably because of the reality of where we were - we'd just come out of dense forest into a clearing, so it felt even wider than it is).

I have a couple of others with greater/lesser amounts of foreground -may see what i can come up with. Of course, if the dof is a dealbreaker then it's no good for challenge purposes, but it's still a nice record of our pleasant afternoon out in the wintry countryside!

Thanks again!
    edited January 4, 2009
    im sure you will come up with something...the only nit i have with this one is the far right side focus...

good luck
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 5, 2009
    im sure you will come up with something...the only nit i have with this one is the far right side focus...

good luck

Dunno if this works or not, but was kind of fun - tried the "make lemonade" approach :D Sharpened it beyond anything reasonable just to see what would happen - don't know how that looks on other monitors, but on mine it's kind of an "art" brush effect (if it just looks like speckly garbage on another monitor, pleeeezzee tell me!)

449421104_hSxgM-L.jpg