Fireman Portrait

ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in People
New to posting images and wanted to try it out. Here is one of my firemen "portraits". Its more of a snapshot but they usually prefer these to studio shots. Thanks for looking.

438786317_5FjmB-L.jpg

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Great first photo. Nice job.clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Clixphoto wrote:
    New to posting images and wanted to try it out. Here is one of my firemen "portraits". Its more of a snapshot but they usually prefer these to studio shots. Thanks for looking.
    Great headshot! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    That is a tremendous shot! clap.gif
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    wave.gif - Welcome to DGrin!

I love the shot and the great seperation from the background. However, on my UN-calibrated monitor, his skin looks very red. Is it my monitor or his skin?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Great shot - so much character in it!

His skin is indeed slightly red on my (uncalibrated) monitor, but not unaturally so. Since the tips of his ears are the reddest, was it perhaps very cold out and that is accurate rather than a monitor error? Take this comment with a large bucket of salt since my monitor is also uncalibrated but just wondering....
  • Jazmyn76Jazmyn76 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    great shot! sums up the lifelong fireman in the image, IMO. well done!
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    This is a great capture. If you plan on giving/selling it to him I would suggest healing/cloning out his chapped lips and the dark and white spots on his shoulder before printing.

Or... maybe not, since a fireman's job is pretty dirty and I'm sure the heat takes all moisture out of one's lips... he could consider them badges of courage for all I know... Laughing.gif

Anyway great capture!
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Great shot! Two things that I think would make it even better would be first if it were cropped a little less tight so we could see a little of the bottom of his hat, to frame the face. Of course, for all I know this could be an uncropped shot in which case you obviously cannot crop it more loosely. The other thing is that as soon as I saw this I thought it would look great as a high-contrast BW conversion, which would also make the redness issue moot. Just some ideas; it's a very nice capture already.
  • Photographer SpockPhotographer Spock Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2009
    Never put a fireman in a studio!
    Clixphoto wrote:

Never, NEVER! put a firefighter in a studio. You can put one in a closet with nothing else in it with 2 metal bearings and one will be broke and the other missing. Laughing.gif If you happen to let a fireman in your studio check and make sure your insurance is up to date. Trust me I know! <-FF for the last 8 years. Great Pic though, looks like it was real cold given the redness and the fact no sweat while wearing his hood and the majority of his flaps down.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Agree with the others...very well done portrait. You seem to have captured 30+ years of firefighting in that one frame thumb.gif
    E
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    wave.gif - Welcome to DGrin!

I love the shot and the great seperation from the background. However, on my UN-calibrated monitor, his skin looks very red. Is it my monitor or his skin?

My monitor is also not calibrated and I don't think it was that cold on that day. I will adjust in photoshop because this image is straight from the camera.
    edited January 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Great shot - so much character in it!

His skin is indeed slightly red on my (uncalibrated) monitor, but not unaturally so. Since the tips of his ears are the reddest, was it perhaps very cold out and that is accurate rather than a monitor error? Take this comment with a large bucket of salt since my monitor is also uncalibrated but just wondering....

Thanks for the comments. I don't think it was that cold. I may need to calibrate my monitor. This image is unprocessed.
    edited January 6, 2009
    Great shot! Two things that I think would make it even better would be first if it were cropped a little less tight so we could see a little of the bottom of his hat, to frame the face. Of course, for all I know this could be an uncropped shot in which case you obviously cannot crop it more loosely. The other thing is that as soon as I saw this I thought it would look great as a high-contrast BW conversion, which would also make the redness issue moot. Just some ideas; it's a very nice capture already.

Thanks Tim. I had not considered a black and white version. I will try it and repost when time permits.
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Great shot! He looks like he's been doing this for quite a long time.

glenn