sis-in-law

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in People
I just got back from two weeks in Alaska, spending Christmas with family, and I'm a bit overwhelmed at the thought of editing all my photos! :huh So, I thought I'd start with a simple headshot of my lovely sister-in-law. I took a number of this sort of shot with some variation in expression and smile, but I kinda liked this one. I'd be curious to know how it "feels" to others, and of course I'd love to have some c&c on the shot and processing. (FYI...she has very pale skin.) Happy New Year!

449231434_GN4Mr-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Yes, I like it, Elaine.

The 'lean' could be ugly to some, but in fact I love it, for its relaxed intimacy. It's a clue to character also, maybe. Down to earth, salt of the earth. Don't mean to imply country bumpkin. On the contrary, she conveys sophistication in the eyes.

Nice exposure and sharpness.

I also love the blocks of color which are a feature of this compostition - red, blue, gray, set off by the touches of black and a livelier red. The color of the hair gains in this company.

I think the color of the skin is fine. However, it seems rather flat to me, and somehow powdery. Maybe increase contrast a tiny tad? Whiten the teeth by the same measure?

Very successful separation of subject and background, not with bokeh or backdrop, but with tone. Interesting.

I love the gaze. There is soul in it. The longer I look at it the more I become attached to this image.

iloveyou.gif

PS Shooting gear info would be nice, please
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Thank you very much for your critique, Neil. I must admit, I said a "whew!" to myself when I saw that you liked it! eek7.gifD And she IS salt of the earth, as well as brilliant.

I shot this with a Canon 40D, 17-55 2.8 IS, manually at 2.8, 1/125, ISO 400, all natural light.
    Elaine

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Thank you very much for your critique, Neil. I must admit, I said a "whew!" to myself when I saw that you liked it! eek7.gifD And she IS salt of the earth, as well as brilliant.

I shot this with a Canon 40D, 17-55 2.8 IS, manually at 2.8, 1/125, ISO 400, all natural light.

Thanks for the info!

One little thing more I just noticed - the under-tip of the nose might need some gentle cloning (?) to reduce the redness?
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 5, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Thanks for the info!

One little thing more I just noticed - the under-tip of the nose might need some gentle cloning (?) to reduce the redness?

Good catch! Thanks!
    Elaine

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I agree with Neil....headscratch.gif ....that the skin might be just a touch bright/white/powdery?, but I really like the way you processed it. Very nice.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Very pretty photo- nice processing. Her beautiful eyes really got my attention.

Caroline
    edited January 5, 2009
    Thank you Caroline! She really does have lovely eyes!

Thanks for weighing in, Jeff. I'm not quite sure what to think about her skin. She really is pale...but if it looks unnatural, that's not good.
    Elaine

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Thank you Caroline! She really does have lovely eyes!

Thanks for weighing in, Jeff. I'm not quite sure what to think about her skin. She really is pale...but if it looks unnatural, that's not good.

Oh no ya don't.......rolleyes1.gif ...don't take it that way for sure!iloveyou.gif

You are the only one who has seen the photo AND knows her. The skin in the photo is very pale....but it is also seriously beautiful. If she actually has skin like that......sheesh bottle me some up...and keep it the way it is.

Its just glowing!!!mwink.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Great portrait Elaine!
    The light and choice of DOF are really excellent.
    E
    edited January 6, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Great portrait Elaine!
    The light and choice of DOF are really excellent.
    E

Thank you very much, eoren!
    Elaine

edited January 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Oh no ya don't.......rolleyes1.gif ...don't take it that way for sure!iloveyou.gif

You are the only one who has seen the photo AND knows her. The skin in the photo is very pale....but it is also seriously beautiful. If she actually has skin like that......sheesh bottle me some up...and keep it the way it is.

Its just glowing!!!mwink.gif

If you can pick her out in the two group photos I've shared (indoors and in the snow) you can see that her skin does appear that much brighter than everyone else's. I was concerned that it looked fake somehow, but I processed this photo the same way I do so many others...in other words, nothing special was done to make her skin appear this way. I cloned out a few stray hairs and a very few little blemishes, used an action I like to use and... voila!
    Elaine