a little people, a big landscape

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited January 10, 2009 in People
Taken at below zero temps at a park in Anchorage...I'd love to know if there would be a "better" way of processing this. I'm fairly basic at this point!

449263911_Ma89V-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 5, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Taken at below zero temps at a park in Anchorage...I'd love to know if there would be a "better" way of processing this. I'm fairly basic at this point!

On my (uncalibrated) monitor, the snow shadows look very blue. Maybe it was too cold for even the snow. :D I would try masking out the sky and warming the image some, either using curves or a warming filter.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Nice shot. thumb.gif

Snow and shadows in the snow will tend to show a bluish cast. Another way to tone down the blue is to add a Hue/Saturation Layer and then play with the saturation levers for Blues and Cyans until the bluish cast is removed from the snow.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Hmm...I wondered what would be said about the blue shadows. It was a blue-cold scene! To be honest, I'm not sure any other color shadow would look right to me here. ne_nau.gif But, I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tips!
    Elaine

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 5, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Hmm...I wondered what would be said about the blue shadows. It was a blue-cold scene! To be honest, I'm not sure any other color shadow would look right to me here. ne_nau.gif But, I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tips!

Oh, I think it's fine that they stay blue, just a little less so. ne_nau.gif
    edited January 5, 2009
    Is this better?

449416044_sQqFZ-L.jpg
    Elaine

• Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    i think it all depends on the mood you want in your photo. the first looks very cold and i would expect that in a winter/snowy scene. the second, however looks more natural. i like them both.
    Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
    Digital Illusions Photography & Design
    1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
    Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown
    edited January 7, 2009
    i think it all depends on the mood you want in your photo. the first looks very cold and i would expect that in a winter/snowy scene. the second, however looks more natural. i like them both.

Great! Thanks for the feedback!
    Elaine

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with the first one (the shadows weren't too blue for me) UNTIL I saw your edit - I like it better. Well done on both but I think the 2nd version is the keeper! thumb.gif
  • speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I second the second one very nice.