What camera to rent? G9 or d80?

brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited January 5, 2009 in Cameras
Hello, I am going on a trip to the uk this spring. I have a sd450 but it's glory days have long winced passed. I plan on renting a camera for the week. What do you suggest? I like mostly taking landscapes and building shots. Will the g9 be ok? I live it's small size
Nikon D50 brianhanley.com

Comments

• TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    The G9 would be great for traveling due to its size; however, there are some limitations.

Anything above ISO 100 will reveal noticeable noise.

The lens is only 35mm wide.

A DSLR with a 17/18-50/80 would likely yield better photographic results if you can manage the larger size.

If low light and wide-angle are not huge issues with you, then the G9 takes spectacular photos.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif on all counts

Something to think about - I've not been there but I understand that a lot of what Europe has to offer (photography-wise) is indoors. And, these indoors scenes tend to be on the dark side. If this is important to you, you will need to bring along some sort of tripod. At those light levels, hand-holding is really not much of an option.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I have to agree with Scott and TommyBoy.....just from my Euro trip with film cam just a few years ago......my 45mm on a med format cam was not wide enough and since I only carried 100iso film a tripod was imperative, especially for indoor shots of the beautiful architecture in the Czech Republic.....

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website