Christmas at Cape Neddick. C&C Welcome

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in Landscapes
I have been planning this shoot for years but never found the time to go to York, Maine at the right time of year. This is the Cape Neddick Lighthouse (also known as Nubble Light). The lighthouse is decorated with Christmas lights this time of year and I've always wanted to get some shots of this. I took these on 29 December and when I got home found out the DGrin Challenge would apply so all C&C greatly appreciated.

I took a series of pano's along with individual shots over about a 2 hour period around sunset.

#1 Approaching Sunset

449392660_j9aev-L.jpg

449386093_H3MGS-L.jpg

#3 Sunset

449383888_Ukcgp-L.jpg

#4 Christmas Lights

449380313_QkSGa-L.jpg

#5 Close Up

449380198_ya5sG-L.jpg

Thanks for looking and any comments.

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    clap.gif Love them all especially #2. Just wish those cable car lines were not there.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I think #3 is the best. The composition draws your eye to the lighthouse and lights. The power lines are not a distraction. There's no big rock in the foreground. The lighting is moody. I like it! thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    clap.gif Love them all especially #2. Just wish those cable car lines were not there.

Thanks Dan. I went back and forth on whether to clone out the lines. I have a version without the wires and does give a different feel. I'll post later when I have access.
    edited January 5, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    I think #3 is the best. The composition draws your eye to the lighthouse and lights. The power lines are not a distraction. There's no big rock in the foreground. The lighting is moody. I like it! thumb.gif

Thanks Jeff. That one is my favorite so far because of the sky color and the lights are beginning to stand out.
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    They're all nice. Prefer #3 with the colors in the sky and the water.

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    #2 really struck me when I first looked--nice comp and soft sky. I looked a few times at the cables and decided they weren't distracting to me. Nice series--thanks for sharing.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited January 6, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    They're all nice. Prefer #3 with the colors in the sky and the water.

thumb.gif
    redleash wrote:
    #2 really struck me when I first looked--nice comp and soft sky. I looked a few times at the cables and decided they weren't distracting to me. Nice series--thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for the comments. I keep going round and round about 2 vs. 3.

Here is a version with #2 without the wires.

450005606_yBGDE-L.jpg

I like the pink sky and mood in #2 and the darker sky with the reflection and how the Christmas lights are more prominent in #3. It will probably ocme down to a coin toss.

Thanks for all the feedback.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    #2 was my favorite when you first posted. I like it even better without the power lines. I like the color of the sky. I think overall this photo has a very calming effect.

Stephanie
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Ditto to Stephanie!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 6, 2009
    Great job on the panos. Nice spot you found there. I like the closer crops of #3 and #4 as well.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Love the mood of #3 and the colors and lights of #5. Bet if you got rid of the power lines in #3 it would be a winner. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Ditto to Stephanie!

Yup, this is great clap.gif
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Great job.... I Love Nubble light. been going there since I was a little kid..
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap