New to SM...but, here's a NYC HDR.

inthedeckinthedeck Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited January 6, 2009 in Landscapes
Not quite 'new' to photography, though. And here's my first post. :ivar
Hopefully, I can engage some more...as I continue to read through this site, as well.

Cheers,
Manish.

447874970_qZ9eG-XL.jpg
My Page.
My Name: Manish.

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Hi Manish, welcome to Dgrin!
    Nice cityscape! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • inthedeckinthedeck Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hi Manish, welcome to Dgrin!
    Nice cityscape! thumb.gif

Thanks...appreciate the welcome, and the comments! It's an HDR comprised of 8 shots, if I remember correctly. Post in CS3.

Cheers,
    Manish.
    My Page.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    inthedeck wrote:
    Not quite 'new' to photography, though. And here's my first post. :ivar
    Hopefully, I can engage some more...as I continue to read through this site, as well.

Welcome, Manish. Good work on the NYC image. Quick question. Do you have some distortion in the shot (because of the wide-angle perspective)? Seems like the bldings on the left and right tilt into the center. That can be fixed quite easily in PS. Or am I not seeing it right?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited January 5, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Welcome, Manish. Good work on the NYC image. Quick question. Do you have some distortion in the shot (because of the wide-angle perspective)? Seems like the bldings on the left and right tilt into the center. That can be fixed quite easily in PS. Or am I not seeing it right?

Thanks, Jeff. Yes, and usually I'd fix it, but in this instance, I left it alone. It's ever so slight...that when I tried to fix it in PS...it just made the barrel distortion even more weird, in the 'center' of the frame. Thus...I left the slight tilt. Good observation. clap.gif
    My Page.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    inthedeck wrote:
    Thanks, Jeff. Yes, and usually I'd fix it, but in this instance, I left it alone. It's ever so slight...that when I tried to fix it in PS...it just made the barrel distortion even more weird, in the 'center' of the frame. Thus...I left the slight tilt. Good observation. clap.gif

Yeah, sometimes fixing the edges makes the center worse. The distortion is really NOT very noticeable.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Yeah, sometimes fixing the edges makes the center worse. The distortion is really NOT very noticeable.

It is to me. Great image otherwise.
  • frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Nice shot but its true that the distortion is noticeable (look grey tower in the middle as compared to the black one on the right). With a slight barrel distortion correction I think it would be way better : can you show us your attempt to correct it ?
    edited January 5, 2009
    frel wrote:
    can you show us your attempt to correct it ?

I will take another stab at it when I get home. If anything, it'll be a minor adjustment, to correct it. I'll post up a rework, soon enough.

This is why I seek feedback...so, thanks!

Cheers,
    M.
    My Page.
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin! Great photo
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
    edited January 6, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin! Great photo

Thanks, appreciate the sentiments.

To the rest, I did fix the distortion, and it only took a couple of minutes. It's in a new gallery that I haven't made public, yet...but, you can see it in there, once I open it up. Just have to fill it with pics...and then, I'll be on my way to opening it up.

Cheers,
    Manish.
    My Page.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Welcome to dgrin! clap.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

edited January 6, 2009
    leaforte wrote:
    Welcome to dgrin! clap.gif

Thanks! wave.gif
    My Page.
  • frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    By the way as I said on my previous post it looks like the distortion i not centered so when you try to rectify it try to put the center on the right (nearby the grey tower at the 3rd quarter looks relatively straight to me)

But I like this shot a lot (even with distortion)
    edited January 6, 2009
    frel wrote:
    By the way as I said on my previous post it looks like the distortion i not centered so when you try to rectify it try to put the center on the right (nearby the grey tower at the 3rd quarter looks relatively straight to me)

But I like this shot a lot (even with distortion)

Thanks a bunch, Frel. Post processing took me nearly 2 hours, on this one...with my machine crankin' away. I was pleased with it...! :D
    My Page.