Snowy Attempt

kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in People
My nephews were over last week, and indulged me to take their pictures. They had no problem hiking into a snowy forest (without coats in freezing weather) and letting me order them around into various poses. :wink

Here are a few of the shots that turned out well. I'm looking for C&C as well as any tips for future portraits. I'm lovin' the tips I read from jeffreaux, swartzy, and others.

448804743_axScr-M.jpg

447329346_gRSyy-M.jpg

447328154_xfdmt-M.jpg

447328783_wuyUp-M.jpg

5. This next one was taking inside
447322482_JYju5-M.jpg
Kathleen
www.kdspencer.com

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Nice shots you got here kdspencer, - I'm especially a big fan of the last one .... WOW. Might be a future model, that one!!! clap.gif
  • Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    great job on these...gotta say #3 my favorite..good pose and an easy smile..
  • kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Thanks guys! I'm sure Mark (dark hair) will get a big head if I relay the comments about future model to him. ;) Ben, the red head, felt like he had a false smile, so we tried to work on that. I agree that the third one has a nice natural smile. I think I said something outrageous before the picture and waited for his laugh.

As payment for being my models, I was more than happy to let them post their pics on facebook, and Mark especially liked this one we did. (I blew out the background in photoshop afterwards... not the best pic for lighting, but he loves how his muscles look) :D

447324671_m2UzM-M.jpg

~Kathleen
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Very nice - really lik the last one!!clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Nice work here. I really like 1 and 2. I wish that 3 and 4 were cropped tighter as you have some great expressions there that seem to lend themselves to a head and shoulders crop. As for the 5th, it is very well done with a great high-key look and very nice b/w conversion.
    E
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    These are really nice. I agree with everyone else that the last one of the first set is pretty awesome. I wonder if the arm could be cloned out somehow. It doesn't really add to the photo and might be a detractor.

Your color shots might be on the magenta side, but that is just by eye, not measured.
    Great job! You have some great little models to practice on!
    edited January 6, 2009
    Clemensphoto's, thanks for your comments.

Eoren, you're right. I should try to get a tighter shot with some of the photos next time. I've been so bad at cutting out arms/hands/or other parts of the body and I was working on not doing it this time.

Heatherfeather, you might be right about the magenta color. I'm working on a laptop, which doesn't have the best capability for showing true colors. ne_nau.gif

I did try to clone out the arm for the last shot in the first set. Let me know what you think...

450322688_SAzcF-M.jpg

Thanks guys!

~Kathleen
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
    edited January 6, 2009
    kdspencer wrote:
    Let me know what you think...

~Kathleen
    I think it looks a ton better but could still use some work. I can see where you did the clone. But after a little bit more time, it sure will be great in your port.
    edited January 6, 2009
    I think it looks a ton better but could still use some work. I can see where you did the clone. But after a little bit more time, it sure will be great in your port.
    What would you suggest?
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
    edited January 6, 2009
    The white part under his face shows a bunch of cloning artifacts. If it were me I would try the patch tool.

It should be simple dimple to get just right since it is such a plain background. Keep fiddling along!