New To Portraits

timmystertimmyster Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited January 6, 2009 in People
IMG_7007b_pp.jpgI am fairly new to portrait photography. Any C&C would be greatly appreciated!
Ask not, for it will come to you...

My Site: Family Pictures Photography

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    timmyster wrote:
    I am fairly new to portrait photography. Any C&C would be greatly appreciated!
    Welcome!
    Nice smile, but I think it's overall too dark (underexposed?). I'm also not a big fan of this particualr framing/cropping. ne_nau.gif
    I went to your site and I think your senior gallery offers much better quality:-) thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Timmyster,

She is slouching and not presenting better posture. She needs to have some separation from the background. Add some kind of a kicker to skim the back side of her or add a background light to provide some separation.
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Hmmmm.... advice

The pose seems awkward because of the camera angle it was shot with. the fix would be to either shoot lower and get down a bit below the level of the subject or have her sit back straight. It will help eliminate the line formed at the neck and shoulder and also raise her up to a better perspective. I like the evenness of the lighting but it could use a hairlight or rim light to help give her more definition.

Example:
    449163241_mBoQf-M.jpg

There is a slight rim light to define her shoulder and give her hair some fill from camera left/model right. I used a strip box but you could use a simple reflector made from white foamcore to bounce in a little light to her shoulder and hair.

Thats all I have and give it a try as it never hurts to play around in the studio. :D
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • timmystertimmyster Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Thank You!
    Thank you all for your feedback!!!! I will do more this weekend using your expert suggestions.
    Have a great week!wings.gif
    Ask not, for it will come to you...

My Site: Family Pictures Photography