Closeup of Crassula ovata flower (Jade Tree)

erisian popeerisian pope Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited January 8, 2009 in Holy Macro
Here's another image which I coaxed from my Jade tree's flowers. This time I used a 50mm lens reversed on the front of my Sigma 105mm. I used my DIY ringflash again. It's amazing how close I can get with the 50mm in front of the 105! These pink anthers are maybe 1mm long, and a little less than 0.5mm wide.

IMG_1196.jpg

Thanks for looking! (Crits and feedback are always welcome!)
- Christian
My Web Gallery

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Here's another image which I coaxed from my Jade tree's flowers. This time I used a 50mm lens reversed on the front of my Sigma 105mm. I used my DIY ringflash again. It's amazing how close I can get with the 50mm in front of the 105! These pink anthers are maybe 1mm long, and a little less than 0.5mm wide.

Thanks for looking! (Crits and feedback are always welcome!)

Hi there Erisian Pope,

I like this shot better than the first one you took of this flower.
    You have some points clearly in focus with this shot clap.gif

Great shot, very good light too thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Love this shot- well done !
    Brian V.
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback, all! I agree - this shot is simpler, cleaner, with better colors.
    - Christian
    My Web Gallery
  • LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    ....This time I used a 50mm lens reversed on the front of my Sigma 105mm. I used my DIY ringflash again. It's amazing how close I can get with the 50mm in front of the 105! ....

Can anyone explain what is needed to do this? headscratch.gif I think I would like to try this technique but need to get the right gear...

Thanks
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    There's a professional method and a more casual method that are pretty similar except for the gear involved. What I did was pretty casual... I put my Sigma 105mm macro lens on my camera normally. I then took my 50mm lens and removed both caps and placed it in front of my 105mm lens but backwards (so that the side of the lens that normally connects to the camera is now facing outwards). I then used some packing tape to hold it onto the 105.

The more professional method would be to use a step-up ring so that the filter-size of the 2 lenses could be made to match (ie - my 50mm lens is a 52mm, and my 105mm lens is a 58mm so I could buy a 52-58 stepup ring and place that onto the 50mm lens then get a "reverse adapter" which is a ring that is threaded on both sides and you literally screw that onto the 105mm lens then screw the 50mm with it's stepup ring onto the adapter and now the lenses are screwed into each other.

Here's a site discussing the technique in general and then a second site discussing the reverse adapter:

http://stephenelliot.com/2007/05/15/reverse-lens-macro-photography-tutorial/

http://photos.bahneman.com/Reviews/58mm_Reverse_Macro_Adapter/

EDIT: you always want the longer lens (in my case the 105mm) on the camera and the shorter lens (the 50mm) reversed and in front.
    - Christian
    My Web Gallery
  • LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Thank you Christian, I will try this tommorrow with a mini-diorama that my daughter in law recieved for christmas. Thank you again.bowdown.gif
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009