helloooo shadows!

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited January 5, 2009 in People
OK...let me preface this by saying that I am not comfortable shooting actual portraits (or something that kinda looks like an actual portrait) indoors with a flash. Since I have a long cord which will allow me to get the flash off the camera, I decided to try that here, for the FIRST time. There are so many things wrong with this, but I will say that I am pleased that everyone is facing forward with eyes open (for the most part), no weird shadows ended up crossing other people's faces (for the most part), and the arrangement and colors worked out (for the most part). I was simply working with what I had...camera on a tripod, flash (with stofen omni-bounce) on a cord set on a chest-high little wall at camera left. It is what it is and I'm not sure how often I'll need to do this sort of shot, so I guess I'm sharing to make all of you expert flash users feel a little better about your own skills. :rofl I may try and clone out the shadows on the left from the rails. The family (my husband's family) is actually quite satisfied, no matter how much I can pick it apart.
I would certainly like some pointers on processing!

449583586_Hc37P-XL.jpg

PS - Oh yeah...and since I'm in the shot, I couldn't direct details like head and hand positions very well...push the button...run into the shot...run back...check LCD and histo...everyone reset...push button...run into shot...you get the idea!
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    IMHO, it looks pretty good. The skintones could possibly be darkened a bit, but for a quick & dirty family photo, I think it looks great! You captured 100% great expressions.

Portrait and faces has always been a weak spot for me; I'm more comfortable with stills, landscapes, and action photos. Portraits is something I'm planning to work on this year.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • jstewjstew Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I like the shot
    Its hard to shoot groups. There is not much you could of done with one main flash. A little late now but raising the flash up and feathering down would help drop the shadows so they fall behind and down rather than the side. But as I said I like the shot, ther faces override the shadows.
    You could do some post processing in CS and bring some detail back in the shadows especially if you have an extra over exposed frame to do a simulated HDR.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Thats awesome Elaine...and the grouping works well also. I think sometimes we can be our own worse critics.

I bave begun some research on lighting methods and modifyers....umbrellas and the like. In that effort, I came across quite a few photographs that utilized a single light source. I was impressed with what I saw. Common to most of the single light group shots was a light source....usually on a stand several feet higher than the camera, but directly above it.....and then shot through an umbrella. They were getting good results. Its something I will take into consideration the next time I am shooting groups.

Here...I REALLY like the expression on the little guy...lower left. Looks like he was about ready to do something else!....too cute.

There is also a startling resemblence in many of the faces. They look a lot like one another.

Ill give you extra points for including at least one hot chick.(back row far left)mwink.gif

Tell your critic (you know the one!)to ease up some.....its a very nice photograph.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Thank you Tony, jstew and Jeff. You've all been more than generous in your replies! I like the sound of one umbrella and one flash...I think I could handle that someday!
    The family resemblances are certainly not lacking...you got that right! As far as the chick on the back left goes...how did you know "hot" is her middle name??!! rolleyes1.gif

Really, Jeff, you need to get those eyes checked!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    as far as the chick on the back left goes...how did you know "hot" is her middle name??!! rolleyes1.gif

Really, Jeff, you need to get those eyes checked!

Just a lucky guess maybe.....

My eyes still work....even if the mind wanders now n then.