Possible #16 entries - help!

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 7, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
BOY am I out of my depth on this one! Good for me, of course, and it's getting me out shooting and trying some new things and having a blast trying, but eek! I feel like I've been turned loose without a map :D

Anyway, here's hhat I've got so far.... C&C not only welcomed, but begged for - bring it on! In addition to the usual feedback I'd love to hear, please comment as much as you'd like to on processing. I've been really trying to experiment with that as I get more familiar with the parameters of CR2 and the things I can do, but A. I'm still a TOTAL novice (running an action showed me how clueless I am - I'd never even HEARD of half the things it did!) and B. my monitor is uncalibrated. So please be absolutely candid - I need to know how these things look to others (I've been quite extreme with at least one of them)

Have at it!!!

"And your point would be?"
449608061_r7xhT-L.jpg

"All Burned Out"
449608146_SE8pm-L.jpg

"Outdoor Portrait" (need something better, but that'll do as a working title)
449608302_nrYEo-L.jpg

"Big sky in the Northeast"

449608265_jLzQ6-L.jpg

Comments

• dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Hey divamum! I am still pretty new to c&cing others work- but here it goes. I really love the first shot (kitty), I really like the sharpness and character of the shot. I dig "all burned out", but I feel like it is lacking a sense of depth, maybe it is the color choice, I don't know. The picture of your daughter (who is beautiful by the way), I think there is too much of her jacket taking up the picture (if that makes any sense). Maybe if there was more focus on her face it would be stronger. The last picture is cool too, but maybe if you tried a different aproach at PP. I hope that info helps, like I said I am not used to commenting on others work seeing I am still so new at this myself. Anywho, You are off to a good start.
    Artistic Design Photography LLC
    http://www.adesignphotography.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Thanks DCT! And I'll add another possibility into the mix while I'm at it... :D

449701835_Li3u4-L.jpg
  • KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    divamum wrote:

449701835_Li3u4-L.jpg

LOVE THIS!!!
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Sorry, all I got still is ... KITTY!!! (And a new location to scout for future photo shoots—super cool find! thumb.gif)
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    I love "All Burned Out!". thumb.gif
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Sorry, all I got still is ... KITTY!!! (And a new location to scout for future photo shoots—super cool find! thumb.gif)

Even though I have a tendency to go "Horsies!" rather than "Kitty!", I'm with Kerry.

I do have to say that the portrait of your daughter is a very close second. She hides a plan to get rid of the camera permanently exceptionally well. :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited January 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I love "All Burned Out!". thumb.gif

The first one, or the supplemental, single-kiln shot?

Love that PS action... once I finally figured it out! Oy - everything I learned in PS/LR is on a "need to know" basis, meaning I can do certain things quite competently, but am utterly CLUELESS about certain basic functions. And I have to say that watching that action go through its paces shows me how globally clueless I am about the powerful possibilities with this software - mamma mia all those blending options! I wouldn't know where to start....

In any case, thanks for the feedback!
    edited January 6, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Even though I have a tendency to go "Horsies!" rather than "Kitty!", I'm with Kerry.

I do have to say that the portrait of your daughter is a very close second. She hides a plan to get rid of the camera permanently exceptionally well. :D

Heeeeheeeeee....... she admitted last night that she "kind of" likes looking at the results. "Diva in Training"rolleyes1.gif

Ok, another vote for Remy, which means by a small margin KITTY! is pulling out in front, but keep those cards and letters coming folks - I'm so clueless on this one I hardly know where to start (and further suggestions for improvement on these is also for sure warmly welcomed - keep it coming!!!)
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Boy (or girl, your choice), any more waffling and we're gonna need a bigger bottle of syrup!:D rolleyes1.gif:D

THis from the guy who hasn't done any post on his pic, and he's not even sure he likes it.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:

449701835_Li3u4-L.jpg
    Nice shot:D I still vote for kitty
    Artistic Design Photography LLC
    http://www.adesignphotography.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    All Burned Out with the Richters action gets my vote clap.gif
    edited January 6, 2009
    achambers wrote:
    Boy (or girl, your choice), any more waffling and we're gonna need a bigger bottle of syrup!

Pass the Aunt Jemima....

Seriously, I'm at a loss on this one! I suspect I'll wait until the night before, see what amazing shots are there and then add the one least like the others :giggle Unfortunately, however, given the few entries so far, I havea feeling that's what everybody else is doing too....... rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 6, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    All Burned Out with the Richters action gets my vote clap.gif

Thanks Dan! I like that one too, but it does have some technical flaws which bug me after staring at it for too long (not least of which that I forgot to stop down after taking all the portraits and thus it isn't as sharp as it could have been.... rolleyes1.gif)

So, I think we're now at

Kitty 4
    All Burned Out #1 2
    All Burned Out #2 1
    Child (1)

Maybe I'll just start shooting marbles instead :crazy :giggle
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    +1 for kitty. I really love that shot.thumb.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 6, 2009
    You sure have got a jump on me to getting this round done! I haven't had time to think of anything yet. Out of what you have here I like the kitty...what a great attitude!thumb.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    edited January 7, 2009
    Ok, I know when to yield to majority opiniong. Mr KITTY! is now posted. Under the title "Cattitude" :D:D

Thanks everybody - appreciate all the comments!