Lime Kilns

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
We went walking yesterday and got to explore these old lime kilns. I ran a Photoshop action on it to give it an antique feel - am considering it for DSS #16 in the challenges forum "across the hall" . C&C welcomed! Thanks.

449608146_SE8pm-L.jpg

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Do you live in Gladstone-Peapack, NJ?

We have the same kilns!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    This is a nice shot. The problem I have with captures like this in the winter is that the bare trees are an eye sore. They intrude on the subject of the capture with too much detail and contrasty confusion. I don't know what to do to avoid this. That's why during the winter I normally just avoid landscapes that have a lot of brush and trees in them. Sometimes they can be framed to add to the composition; but mostly they are just a colossal distraction. They are not that bad in your shot, but they do detract from what ought to be the focus of the image.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    Do you live in Gladstone-Peapack, NJ?

We have the same kilns!

Z

Nope! Eastern seabord, but considerably south of Jersey :) I guess they just built them all the same!! lol
    edited January 5, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    This is a nice shot. The problem I have with captures like this in the winter is that the bare trees are an eye sore. They intrude on the subject of the capture with too much detail and contrasty confusion. I don't know what to do to avoid this. That's why during the winter I normally just avoid landscapes that have a lot of brush and trees in them. Sometimes they can be framed to add to the composition; but mostly they are just a colossal distraction. They are not that bad in your shot, but they do detract from what ought to be the focus of the image.

Thanks Jeff. That's actually one of the reasons I ran the antiquing on it - I figured since I couldn't fight bare and dead looking I'd try to emphasize it!

This type of subject is very new territory for me - I usually only take these kinds of pictures for personal "memories" (ie to capture where we've been rather than "art") so I'm definitely feeling out of my depth!

All that said, I have another shot from this shoot which may lend itself to this treatment but which avoids the trees - I'll work on it and then post it for comments. Thanks in advance!!

(Totally OT: lOVE LOVE LOVE the new avatar!)
    edited January 5, 2009
    Annnddddd.... another take on this. Trees still there, but I tried to incorporate them as part of the mood in this one. Any better, or still problematic? (Don't worry - my feelings won't be hurt - this is totally a learning curve!)

449701835_Li3u4-L.jpg
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Annnddddd.... another take on this. Trees still there, but I tried to incorporate them as part of the mood in this one. Any better, or still problematic? (Don't worry - my feelings won't be hurt - this is totally a learning curve!)

Hi there Divamum, I prefer the colour tone to this last shot over the first one.

The location looks very interesting, it actually looks like little dwellings.
    The structures still look in good condition, guess they made them well back then :D

Nice work thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin