Options

CS3 Convertign raw

EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited January 10, 2009 in Finishing School
Happy New Year all:
I jusyt got CS3 for Christmas, I would like to know wher i can readup on how to convert RAW (neff) files.
Here are the reason i would like to understand on how to convert
1) edit the Raw then convert to Jpeg or convert before editing
2) How to convert (procedures)
3) do i need to save them in a different folder
Thanks
cheers
Eddy
E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 5, 2009
    "Real World Camera RAW with Adobe Photoshop CS3" by Bruce Fraser and Jeffe Schewe is the Bible.

If you prefer video, here is the ticket - notice Jeffe Schewe is here also
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Eddy wrote:
    Happy New Year all:
    I jusyt got CS3 for Christmas, I would like to know wher i can readup on how to convert RAW (neff) files.
    Here are the reason i would like to understand on how to convert
    1) edit the Raw then convert to Jpeg or convert before editing
    2) How to convert (procedures)
    3) do i need to save them in a different folder
    Thanks
    cheers
    Eddy
    Although CS4 is now the current version of Photoshop and many of the authors of Photoshop books are publishing appropriate versions of their books, you can still find books on CS3 - often a little cheaper(!) I really like the way Martin Evening explains things so would always suggest putting his books on a shopping list.

I found this on the Amazon USA website... (which I would be more relevant to you than the UK site I use)

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS3-Photographers-Professional/dp/0240520289

If you google Martin Evening CS3 you can find some sites with sample pages which might give you an idea of what to expect.

Anthony.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    I'm no expert (and look forward to reading any other replies you may get), but as I understand it the point of shooting RAW is because it's uncompressed/unedited digital informationand is also able to sustain more editing without apparent loss of quality (as well as its greater dynamic range, so exposure can tolerate more adjustment without deterioration); I shoot raw, then edit, then convert to jpg as necessary.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Hi all
    Sorry i could not reply sooner (Work) but i really do appreciate the time you all took to answer my question..thanks thanks..What wonderful forum ...I will read read and practice...i really wanna do this...
    Cheers
    my Friends
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu