Business End

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in People
My first portrait with the new camera. Hope it ain't the last!:D

449770290_Jt7Ym-M.jpg

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    That's a great one Jeff...seriously.....I think it's great...you should use that for your marketing.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    That's a great one Jeff...seriously.....I think it's great...you should use that for your marketing.

Yep, great one. thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Very nice.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Yeup - that really works and I think Swartzy got a good idea there - this would make a pretty good marketing shot. Shot into a mirror?
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    It's better than kissing!! :beatwax
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    looks like it's about time to replace that avatar rolleyes1.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    And here you had us newbieCONVINCED that you were really just a very clever giant squirrel... rolleyes1.gif

Great shot!

Now, do we get to see you putting the 50d through its paces some more??! :D Are you liking it?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    +1 15524779-Ti.gifthumb.gifclap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    seriously thats is a good image. its got a good feel to it....

if i could add anything to it, i would have your wifey kiss your cheeky leaving a lipstick mark just for NeilL to complain about. or just catch a shot of her kissing your cheek might just work better...:ivar
    Aaron Nelson
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Thanks everyone....for the comments.

Scott....

No mirror. I am holding the XTi and 17-55. The shot was taken with the 50d while it was still on the tripod following my...er...micro adjust attempts with the 70-200. The photo is a little soft, and of course the metering/exposure was a bit hot as well. It was an accomplishment to find my place in that shallow slice of focus at all before the timer stopped!

Neil....

I wont state my preference, but prefer most anything other than being on that end of a camera.

Divamum...

What on Earth would give you that idea? A squirrel?rolleyes1.gif
    Unless of course you were digging around in techniques......all those tree shots maybe?

...and...while there were other shots, thats all Im sharing!:D

I did get a cool email just prior to Christmas. A brides brother-in-law sent it to me. He shot it with a P&S Fuji as I was using window light in the hotel room to take some shots of her prior to the wedding. He had the camera set for BW, so it was an "in-camera" conversion which means...it is what it is really, but I still like it. So here is that shot Taken by Mr. M. Dame.

450045264_Sa8Xz-L.jpg

...and one of the shots I had taken with the windowlight.
    346150435_cXxtD-M-1.jpg
    edited January 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I did get a cool email just prior to Christmas. A brides brother-in-law sent it to me. He shot it with a P&S Fuji as I was using window light in the hotel room to take some shots of the bride. He had the camera set for BW, so it was an "in-camera" conversion which means...it is what it is really, but I still like it. So here is that shot Taken by Mr. M. Dame.

450045264_Sa8Xz-S.jpg
    It's cool seeing photos of photogs at work!

And, one has to ask, "Is that what you wear when you shoot a wedding?"

If so, it must be nice and 'cause I'm way over-dressed! I don't wear a jacket or tie, but I do wear long pants, a sport shirt, and real shoes.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009

If so, it must be nice and 'cause I'm way over-dressed! I don't wear a jacket or tie, but I do wear long pants, a sport shirt, and real shoes.

I was about to say the same thing! Well Jeff is awesome so I guess he can wear whatever he wants!

..I want to wear sandals to work...:cry
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    What on Earth would give you that idea? A squirrel? Unless of course you were digging around in techniques......all those tree shots maybe?

:lol:lol:lol

I wondered if you would remember that thread or not - HA!! I'll have to try and find it, but it was right after you got your new tele lens, and you included some beeeyoootiful pix of your daughter(s) .... and a squirrel... which at some point in the thread you claimed was a self portrait rolleyes1.gifrofl

I'll have to find the thread now although darned if i can remember what the starter topic was!

ETA: found it - it's here http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=109579&highlight=squirrel (post #23)
    edited January 6, 2009

Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif

Actually, This was the only wedding I have ever done in shorts and flip flops...

...and the only one where I was specifically told what to wear.

It was a beach wedding, and everyone attending...including me...wore khaki, white, or yellow. I wore khaki shorts and a yellow polo. The groom was wearing khaki pants himself. It was very casual. I had asked in advance....not really knowing what to wear to a beach wedding. The photos came out extra nice due to everyone there wearing the same colors. It was a good idea.
    edited January 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif

Actually, This was the only wedding I have ever done in shorts and flip flops...

...and the only one where I was specifically told what to wear.

It was a beach wedding, and everyone attending...including me...wore khaki, white, or yellow. I wore khaki shorts and a yellow polo. The groom was wearing khaki pants himself. It was very casual. I had asked in advance....not really knowing what to wear to a beach wedding. The photos came out extra nice due to everyone there wearing the same colors. It was a good idea.
    Come to think of it, I did work one wedding in shorts - see the XL3 here

Here's a smaller version with an indicator of where to find me (I'm the one with the blue shirt and khaki photogs vest):
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    seriously thats is a good image. its got a good feel to it....

if i could add anything to it, i would have your wifey kiss your cheeky leaving a lipstick mark just for NeilL to complain about. or just catch a shot of her kissing your cheek might just work better...:ivar

:sweet:puke
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Nice one, Jeff! Now you need one with the 50D in hand, yes?
    I see you shoot with your right eye. Do you leave your left eye open, or was that just for this shot?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited January 6, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Nice one, Jeff! Now you need one with the 50D in hand, yes?
    I see you shoot with your right eye. Do you leave your left eye open, or was that just for this shot?

I shoot with either eye really......some left and some right......with the other always closed. I once tried shooting some basketball with both eyes open, but it was very unnatural for me. So here, the eye is open for the other camera...the one pointed at me.

I don't use a flash braket, so when I am using shoe mounted flash out of doors for fill I will sometimes alternate which direction I have flipped the camera. It can make a huge difference on the direction of the shadows that the flash might cast. Of course, no shadows is the goal....but sometimes....if it's there, it can be minimized with a flip of the camera.
    edited January 6, 2009
    Come to think of it, I did work one wedding in shorts - see the XL3 here

Here's a smaller version with an indicator of where to find me (I'm the one with the blue shirt and khaki photogs vest):

Sheesh....I counted at least 8 cameras in hands in the photo......

oh...and NICE socks Scott.......and you were teasing me about my wardrobe!rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Sheesh....I counted at least 8 cameras in hands in the photo......

oh...and NICE socks Scott.......and you were teasing me about my wardrobe!rolleyes1.gif
    Actually, I wasn't. I had forgotten all about this wedding. It's the only beach wedding I've done and the only time I was "out of uniform."

As for all the cameras - that's the usual case for most of my weddings and I'm good with it.
    edited January 6, 2009
    Actually, I wasn't. I had forgotten all about this wedding. It's the only beach wedding I've done and the only time I was "out of uniform."

As for all the cameras - that's the usual case for most of my weddings and I'm good with it.

I hear ya....it doesn't bother me much either. If it did I wouldn't have that nice sillouette of me that I posted here. It was just something I noticed in the photograph you posted....lotsa cameras.

That was a pretty cool angle by the way.....nearly a full arial shot.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    You really look like your kids! Especially in the eyes. Crazy how that works.

Great photo, and processing.
    edited January 6, 2009
    You really look like your kids! Especially in the eyes. Crazy how that works.

Great photo, and processing.

Ive tried to convince you folks that this is true. They look like me....but with hair!rolleyes1.gif