The Rain forest Children

pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
edited May 19, 2005 in People
As we approached a small village, a boy and two small girls in a wooden boat made from a tree came paddling up to us. The boy was with his two sisters and he was dropping them off at the village. As I approached the village I gave one of the girls some candy. Her brother was paddling back to the house when his sister called him back to share the candy. The house was about a half mile away and the boy was using his sandals to paddle this distance. He looked very happy, but it was difficult to comprehend his life with no electricity, computers or air conditioning, and his house was a small floating shack about 200 sqft.

21995862-M.jpg

These children were accompanied by their father, they would approach the boats and as they got nearer you could see the animals they held in their hands. This group of four had an alligator, monkey, sloth and the smallest little girl is holding up a small lizard. Needless to say more candy was distributed here also.
22054015-M.jpg

These boys are actually in two boats, they had moved out of the way as we approached. They were trawling a small net between the boats and trying to catch fish for the dinner table.
22054258-M.jpg

This Rain forest is continually wet, the river raises over 60 feet each season so the landscape is continuously changing, thunderstorms and humidity are a daily occurrence and the temperature is between 85 F at night and 95 F during the day all year round. Although I find it difficult to understand how the children live here they all seem happy and well nourished. All that fish eating I guess.

Enjoy.

Pete W
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com

Comments