one, big, happy, cold family

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in People
Below zero temps, cam set up across the street, I pushed the button, carefully ran and plowed through the snow to get into place, smile! click!...repeat. The time before this one, I completely lost my balance as I ran/hopped through the deep snow and landed in my niece's lap! :roflI managed to get up in time for the shutter...we were all laughing so hard. It was great fun. The baby was following the action and wasn't looking forward for that shot, but I liked all the expressions on this one better anyway. I wish I would have gone for a higher ISO and deeper aperture though...not as sharp as I'd like all the way through. But, it's a fun memory!

I am dealing with glasses reflections again, as well as bright (not blown), undetailed snow. If we lived in snow all the time, I'd have to figure out how to deal with this better.

449874638_UMgme-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    That is amazing group photo ! expressions are really good :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Looking pretty sweet there!thumb.gif
  • lahefelahefe Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2009
    I'm a total newbie- this is my first post- I'll go back and introduce myself once I have a self portrait to share... anyhoo rambling!

I love this! the expressions and everyone looking in the right direction it's great! I do wish that either the tree on the right (camera right) wasn't there or there was one on the left too to balance things out and frame the shot. So which one are you? I'm guessing the lady in blue with the multicoloured scarf based on the snowy knee hehehe

--Lauren
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    lahefe wrote:
    I'm a total newbie- this is my first post- I'll go back and introduce myself once I have a self portrait to share... anyhoo rambling!

I love this! the expressions and everyone looking in the right direction it's great! I do wish that either the tree on the right (camera right) wasn't there or there was one on the left too to balance things out and frame the shot. So which one are you? I'm guessing the lady in blue with the multicoloured scarf based on the snowy knee hehehe

--Lauren
    wave.gif - Welcome to DGrin. Nice to have you and looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Our Elaine is, indeed, the lady right-most in the photograph. A very sweet lady - I hope one day to actually meet her!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Great job Elaine and the snow is really doing wonders here as one huge reflector! Amazed that you could get everyone facing the right way and with eyes open...I can barely manage that between my wife and two kids ne_nau.gif

From reading the other thread (with the flash), might I suggest a remote trigger to keep you from having to run back and forth repeatedly? It makes a world of difference for these shots.

E
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 6, 2009
    It's a nice portrait!

I just heard the PNW got another 8" of snow--that's more snow than I recall falling in that neck of the woods for a long time. Stay warm :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    I love the concept of this. I would love to take my own family in the snow...but not only do we have to have regular snow, I would have to convince them to go out in it:D
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    That is amazing group photo ! expressions are really good
    Thanks, Awais! It helped that everyone had to watch me make my way, rather ungracefully, to my spot for each shot after I pushed the shutter! :D

I'm so honored your first post at Dgrin was this one! Welcome! Yes, you guessed correctly...the snowy knee would be me. I see what you mean about balancing with the trees. There is another one on the left (provides the overhead branches) but it's too far away. The right tree is called the “engagement tree” because one of my sis-in-laws was proposed to in front of the tree, so it's kinda important to the whole family. I was actually wishing I'd positioned the group so more of it could show up. Thanks for the comments!

Our Elaine is, indeed, the lady right-most in the photograph. A very sweet lady - I hope one day to actually meet her!
    Awww...thanks, Scott! iloveyou.gif

Great job Elaine and the snow is really doing wonders here as one huge reflector! Amazed that you could get everyone facing the right way and with eyes open...I can barely manage that between my wife and two kids ne_nau.gif

From reading the other thread (with the flash), might I suggest a remote trigger to keep you from having to run back and forth repeatedly? It makes a world of difference for these shots.
    A remote trigger would be fantastic! (But in this case it would have cost us our comic relief for each shot!) Got any suggestions for one that would work on the Canon 40D?

It's a nice portrait!
    I just heard the PNW got another 8" of snow--that's more snow than I recall falling in that neck of the woods for a long time. Stay warm
    Thanks, Ian! The PNW certainly has had its share of snow this winter. This photo was actually taken in Anchorage...we got one of the last flights out of Seattle on the day we got hit the hardest with the snow! At least at our place in OR, we're back to temps in the 40s. We were bummed that we missed the record breaking storm, but we were enjoying Alaska snow and then a week of temps below zero. That was interesting!

I love the concept of this. I would love to take my own family in the snow...but not only do we have to have regular snow, I would have to convince them to go out in it
    I can understand the difficulty in convincing people they need a shot like this! We were visiting family in Anchorage, and everyone was home for Christmas, which doesn't usually happen, and it may be the last time it can happen as my in-laws may move out of Alaska this year...so we had lots of excuses for this sort of shot. No one put up much a fuss, thankfully!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography