Dale

PadgePadge Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited January 7, 2009 in People
For those of view that viewed my shot of Robyn this was taken the same evening (New Years Eve), it is a shot of Robyn's twin brother Dale.

Dale
450155984_JKsBG-XL.jpg
“It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter, because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary.”
David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Padge wrote:
    For those of view that viewed my shot of Robyn this was taken the same evening (New Years Eve), it is a shot of Robyn's twin brother Dale.

Dale

I really REALLY love both pictures - the one of Robyn is adorable.

Your bw processing is beautiful - any tips or specific processes to share?
  • PadgePadge Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I really REALLY love both pictures - the one of Robyn is adorable.

Your bw processing is beautiful - any tips or specific processes to share?

Some of this may be teaching granny to suck eggs but here goes.

Pick your pictures carefully for mono conversion not all will make it.

Look for ones which will give a good range of tones from black to white ( as ever there are exceptions). Be wary of what looks high contrast in colour, red on a green background, which turns the same shade of grey in mono. If it may be a problem on conversion look at selective saturation/lightness/hue changes to bring about contrast when converted.

Adjust your photograph in colour first until you are happy with it as a colour shot.

Learn to use as many conversion methods as possible for the software you use, different software has different methods available and sometimes a combination of techniques using layers. Try each, start with the simplest, some suit one photograph more than another.

All other editing rules apply, lots of small changes pay off despit it taking more time.

Don't be afraid of noise b&w is very often enhanced by 'grain' learn to control, even add, noise.

Sharpen selctively and also remember to blur selectively.

Keep it simple.
    “It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter, because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary.”
    David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com