Underwater - Cave Diving

inkmantpainkmantpa Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited January 10, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I find that I've been shooting more underwater than above these days. Here are some recent shots taken at various N. Florida caves.

440223773_ZmXEn-XL.jpg

387047631_yqDB5-XL.jpg

438488931_j7EF2-XL.jpg

444546541_JT6QJ-XL.jpg

444495283_tf9Xh-XL.jpg

444795055_cXeoc-XL.jpg

444789742_KvJW5-XL.jpg

444788530_hQHQS-XL.jpg

Many more at Don Currie Photos

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Hi Don,

These are real nice shots. I did a little cave diving in these same FL caves
    while in college. I gave it up when claustrophobia got the best of me. Also, during that time, there were several divers that drowned doing caves. I decided to do something else.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Great set of photos right there. I checked out the rest of them on your site...Great work ! Love the colors and the light beams. Its been a few years since I have strapped on the tank. But that set really makes me want to get back under with the camera this time.

Curious, what type of camera and housing do you have ? How much is the housing ?

Thanks for sharing those.

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

I want details on you shot these? Gear? Exposure?

And this is my fav!
    inkmantpa wrote:
    438488931_j7EF2-Th.jpg
  • inkmantpainkmantpa Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Thanks for the comments.

I shoot with a Nikon D200 and Sigma 10-20mm lens (at 10mm). I have an Ikelite housing and 6" dome port. I also have a Ikleite DS-125 strobe with TTL sync cord and arm. Planning on adding an Ikelite DS-51 strobe to use as a remote strobe.

Exposures vary based on how far into the cave I am. Exif is in photos in my galleries.

Don
    Don Currie Photos
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Beautiful images for sure. That's a whole 'nother world down there. Thanks for sharing.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Really like #2 and #3...otherwordly.

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

I want details on you shot these? Gear? Exposure?

And this is my fav!

I agree with April. This is my favorite as well. Nicely done!!
  • KennySKennyS Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    The whole set is breathtaking. The first two and the last two are just tops! Bravo!!clap.gifclapbowdown.gifbow
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    inkmantpa wrote:
    I find that I've been shooting more underwater than above these days. Here are some recent shots taken at various N. Florida caves.

Many more at Don Currie Photos

Don these are awesome clap.gif :ivar
    The water is crystal clear ... #2 + #3 + #6 are my absolute favourites thumb.gif

Cave Diving is a dangerous sport isn't it.... I've heard and seen reports of people drowning because they can't figure out which way is up and which way is down and they get disorientated?

I can see why Diving in those beautiful clean waters is so appealing.
    It's like a whole different world under there.

You must see some awesome sights when you dive.

Excellent Series, you folks who are adventurous would have some really amazing stories to share.

Thanks for sharing your underwater shots, they are very very impressive.
    clap.gif :ivar clap.gif :ivar .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    That third photo, the one where the water is full of red blood is shocking! Did he survive? :D

Absolutely great shots! Thanks!
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
    edited January 8, 2009
    Thanks again for the comments.

Skippy, yes, Cave Diving can be dangerous for the untrained. You have to go through countless hours of training to be certified to dive caves.And spend countless thousands of $$ on gear. I've seen it listed anywhere from the #2 most dangerous sport (after base jumping) to the #6 most dangerous. It is a beautiful world under our feet that most will never get to see, and I'm happy to be able to go there and to capture some images.

Pexi, the water is acutally really that color. When the river floods, it brings the tannic water it picks up from the banks of the river and sends it over the entrance to the cave which is a spring. The mixture of the clear spring water and the tannic river water combined refracts the sun in all sorts of interesting ways. The more flooded the more the effect.

Thanks again for looking. There are lots more in my galleries Don Currie Photos

Don
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Thanks for sharing, Don. I love the whole gallery. The 'fire in the sky' shot from Ginnie is my new background.

Ever do any open water wrecks?

-MB
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    great diving pics!thumb.gif I like the "fire in the sky" one too!
    edited January 9, 2009
    Blackwood wrote:
    Thanks for sharing, Don. I love the whole gallery. The 'fire in the sky' shot from Ginnie is my new background.

Ever do any open water wrecks?

-MB

Marc, thanks! Yeah, I've done the wrecks down off Key Largo. (Spiegel Grove, Duanne, Eagle, Bibb, Benwood) I have some photos from the Spiegel Grove from about a year ago. They're not all that good, this was only my 2nd or 3rd shoot underwater.

Photos are in the Key Largo Diving Gallery

Don
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Awesome. I LOVE the flag shot (#23).

I've always wanted to get over there to do the Duanne and the Grove (though I hear the Grove isn't all it's cracked up to be).

Thanks again, and I look forward to more. The first shot from the Jug Hole series (second posted in this thread) is spectacular - for some reason it didn't load the first time I read this thread.

If you ever come over to CA and need a team mate, look me up!

-MB
    edited January 10, 2009
    Blackwood wrote:
    Awesome. I LOVE the flag shot (#23).

I've always wanted to get over there to do the Duanne and the Grove (though I hear the Grove isn't all it's cracked up to be).

Thanks again, and I look forward to more. The first shot from the Jug Hole series (second posted in this thread) is spectacular - for some reason it didn't load the first time I read this thread.

If you ever come over to CA and need a team mate, look me up!

-MB

Thanks Mark. I love the Jug Hole shots, it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

I'll def take you up on the offer. Same goes for me if you ever come to FL.

Don