My Daughter/Granddaughter - Sepia?

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited January 7, 2009 in People
I am just a rookie in every phase of this hobby: shooting, lighting, PP etc. This photo is pretty dark since it was at a night football game. I can't go back and recreate the shot and I don't want to miss out on this one since the subjects are pretty darn cute :lust (my daughter and granddaughter).

My wife thinks it would be good to try this photo in Sepia. I have included the original, a doctored up version and a sepia version. Any thoughts on what I sould be doing in PP to improve this photo is greatly apreciated.

Thank you!!

MD

#1 - Original

450213972_txCpw-L.jpg

#2 - Lightened Up a Little

450214029_4G7Vd-L.jpg

#3 - Sepia

450213695_e4c4Y-L.jpg
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Is there a way to get all of the background taken out so it doesn't distract from the subjects? I only have Nikon Capture NX software so I don't know if I have some of hte same features that you guys wouyld have with your fancy shamcy software.
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Beautiful girls and shots. Hope someone can help you with the NX.

Who can look past those eyes anyway?

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Absolutely adorable girls! This is a keeper. If you want I could do a quick edited to show you what my take would be with a ps fix up. I would definately get rid of the distractions in the background and maybe change to classic black and white. I'm honestly not liking that particular sepia. It seems a bit harsh. Let me know if you want me to give it a go. Enjoy those girls!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Absolutely adorable girls! I'm honestly not liking that particular sepia.
    15524779-Ti.gif

This is a great photo of some very beautiful girls. One that should be on yours and their walls...

For some comments...I think the natural warmth of your daughter's skin is what is making the sepia not really work for me here. As Wings said, it just is too harsh.

I think you could even lighten up #2 a tad more as well - maybe a another 1/3 of a stop. A simple black vignette would hide some of the background - not all but could be good enough. Not sure if you can do that in Capture NX but is trivial to do in Lightroom 2.

As stated, I think you should try a pure B&W conversation with this one. It would be terrific!
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    All,

Can I show off Sandy's PP of this photo and her improvements? Sandy, I hope this was OK to post.

450748657_TmqEp-L.jpg
  • PadgePadge Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    MDalby wrote:
    All,

Can I show off Sandy's PP of this photo and her improvements? Sandy, I hope this was OK to post.

450748657_TmqEp-L.jpg

Definitely heading in the right direction, though I would be tempted to drop the contrast a little and maybe see if the background would suit lightening up a little rather than a stark black.

Certainly caught the pair of them well, just a slight shame the youngster didn't look stright into the camera but those eyes make up for that anyway.
    “It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter, because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary.”
    David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com