Geometric Light

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited January 7, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
My New Year's resolution was to take a photo a day. Of course its day 6 and I already missed on day 5. It's tough when it's dark outside when you get up and dark when you get home from work. I have turned to photographing mundane items in the house. This afternoon I found this toy while cleaning (photo #1). It has a bouncy ball inside of it and when you bounce it it lights up all different colors for about 15 seconds. I bounced the ball, then turned off all of the lights and photographed it with 10 & 15 second exposures. I thought it came out pretty cool.

Stephanie

450312092_wvAYM-M.jpg

450312440_xQi6R-M.jpg

450312260_YN4kB-M.jpg

450312174_A3vwF-M.jpg

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Very cool! You know just because you missed day five doesn't mean you could take a few more on another day to make it uprolleyes1.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    My New Year's resolution was to take a photo a day. Of course its day 6 and I already missed on day 5. It's tough when it's dark outside when you get up and dark when you get home from work. I have turned to photographing mundane items in the house. This afternoon I found this toy while cleaning (photo #1). It has a bouncy ball inside of it and when you bounce it it lights up all different colors for about 15 seconds. I bounced the ball, then turned off all of the lights and photographed it with 10 & 15 second exposures. I thought it came out pretty cool.

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie, Happy New Year :D

The toy doesn't really look that colourful when it's not lit up does it.
    But gosh when you darken the room and bounce it,
    the colours are quite amazing.

I love it when you folks get creative, then post your creations to share with the rest of us :D :ivar clap.gif

These look Great! ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    #2 is quite good. Care to share with us the lighting set up on this?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    #2 is quite good. Care to share with us the lighting set up on this?

Jeff-
    No real lighting setup. I set up the toy on a painted white dresser with the overhead light on in the room and set the focus and then pushed the shutter button all the way down (I had the camer set on timer mode). Then I bounced the ball to get it flashing, put it back in the same spot, and then turned off all the lights. The shutter opened, the ball continued to flash for about 10-15 seconds, the shutter stayed open for a few more seconds of darkness in the room. Camera settings were shutter speed 15 sec, f/16, ISO 100.

Stephanie
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Jeff-
    No real lighting setup. I set up the toy on a painted white dresser with the overhead light on in the room and set the focus and then pushed the shutter button all the way down (I had the camer set on timer mode). Then I bounced the ball to get it flashing, put it back in the same spot, and then turned off all the lights. The shutter opened, the ball continued to flash for about 10-15 seconds, the shutter stayed open for a few more seconds of darkness in the room. Camera settings were shutter speed 15 sec, f/16, ISO 100.

Stephanie

Oh, I get it. I didn't know the ball had an internal light source. That makes sense. Cool.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    very freaking cool!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    AWESOME shots!!

I tried to shoot some glow sticks on a similar principle and it was an unmitigated failure, so colour me impressed - these are great!