Options

Shaky images

tibutibu Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited April 29, 2004 in Finishing School
Hi all

I've got a few pictures that are slighlty moved (I have to learn to shoot using the viewfinder rather than the LCD)

Is there any way to fix that in photoshop. I imagine is rather difficult since you have repeated the image in two or more places but perhaps somebody has a good idea

Carlos

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2004
    Hi tibu, I guess you're talking about camera shake. Curing it means really concentrating on techniques for keeping your hands and body still when you're shooting.

If you have a point and shoot, the viewfinder isn't very useful - it doesn't show everything that the lens sees. Using the LCD is actually better. Also, shooting in low light without a flash leads to slow shutter speeds, which means shake is more likely to be captured. Shooting with lots of zoom in mediocre light has the same effect.

If you have photoshop, you might try the technique described in this thread and see if it helps.

But there is a limit to what can be done to fix a blurry shot. Best to concentrate on ways to keep your hands still when shooting - and get a tripod! I take mine with me everywhere the camera goes. And I use it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    tibutibu Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2004
    Hi.
    wxwax wrote:
    Hi tibu, I guess you're talking about camera shake. Curing it means really concentrating on techniques for keeping your hands and body still when you're shooting.

If you have a point and shoot, the viewfinder isn't very useful - it doesn't show everything that the lens sees. Using the LCD is actually better. Also, shooting in low light without a flash leads to slow shutter speeds, which means shake is more likely to be captured. Shooting with lots of zoom in mediocre light has the same effect.

If you have photoshop, you might try the technique described in this thread and see if it helps.

But there is a limit to what can be done to fix a blurry shot. Best to concentrate on ways to keep your hands still when shooting - and get a tripod! I take mine with me everywhere the camera goes. And I use it.
    Yes, it is exactly camera shake. I'm talking some picture with a very small shake. Is very clear to me that from a image processing point of view images with a lot of shake are not fixable. I'll try your techniques though

I have a Nikon Coolpix 4500 which is not point and shoot but is not a SLR either so the viewfiender is not completely accurate but I noticed that it helps to use my head as a third fixed point.

One thing that is problematic is that many shots look ok in the LCD and you don't notice the shake until you zoom and I don't do it (I should) all the time

Regards
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2004
    Yes, I know what you mean about not seeing the blur in the LCD image. I can be pretty sure I have blur if I handhold at any slower than about 1/100. I use the tripod a lot, maybe even most of the time. But it's difficult to shoot people using a tripod - the suckers insist on moving!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au