Options

Upgrading from Capture NX 1.3 to NX 2

Greyhound RickGreyhound Rick Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited January 8, 2009 in Technique
Hello everyone,

Because I can be intimidated by computers and am not that skilled with PP I would like to get your input with regard to a Capture NX upgrade.

I currently use NX1.3 and am fairly comfortable with it. I dont do a lot of different things other than organize and make basic adjustments. I do use it almost daily as I process a lot of photos I take at Phoenix Greyhound Park so its a very important program for me.

Ive been putting off upgrading to NX2 for the simple fact that I am a bit nervous about the transition. I dont do to well with computers and have a knack for screwing things up!!:scratch

Anyways......I believe the easiest way to do this upgrade is to go to Nikonmall.com and pay for NX 2 and download from there.

Once the program downloads will I be lost with doing the basic functions or are they about the same? Things like organizing, exposure adjustments, straightening, cropping, UM etc. Are the controls and the layouts the same or am I in for a major culture shock here??

Thanks for your input and I appreciate your help with this. I hope this is a pretty easy thing to do!!

my best to all,

Rick
Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound!!

Comments

• Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    NX 2 offers shadow/highlight adjustment sliders, a handy "healing" brush, and selection control points (simplifies tasks that would require making masks if using other tools for post-processing).

The healing brush is handy for dealing with sensor dust though sometimes you can't use it the way the directions say it should be used (use tiny short strokes from a variety of directions if the normal method doesn't work).

I'm a total rookie with it but have had good results with very little effort on a variety of pics. I still have PShop (haven't figured out how to do LAB color tricks with NX for example).

My machine has both versions installed now...so you don't have to give up 1.3 to use 2 (at least on Mac...dunno about Windows and not sure which you use).
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    I upgraded from 1.3 for the healing brush alone. I would recommend that you download the demo first before making the purchase. I found it worthwhile to upgrade. The interface is different, but if you buy Jason Odell's NX2 book, you'll be up to speed very quickly.

I don't use it every day or every week. I have to re-teach myself quite often, but in general it's user friendly. I also use Lightroom, which I find much faster and easier for most photo's. However, for those that I really want the best output for printing purposes, I'll use NX2.

Jason just released some video tutorials for $1.99 each. You can download those that your interested in. I've not looked at these in detail yet, but I'm sure it's worth the money for an area your having trouble understanding.

Good luck.