Possible senior picture

Jane1980Jane1980 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited January 9, 2009 in People
I love this photo. I haven't touched it yet and am unsure if I want to leave the rope in the back ground or not. Still a beginner - be kind :)

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Hi Jane, and welcome to Dgrin!:D

What a gorgeous subject and beautiful smile!!!

For me though, this photo doesn't work.

The rope, as you have discovered appears to have her hanging by a thread. Aside from that, the pose...and more specifically....the way her legs are crossed in the skirt is maybe a bit too leggy. The position also leaves her shoulders square on to the camera...rather than a complimentary angle. It also appears to be a tad out of focus on her face, and she has some rather harsh shadows under her chin.

The shorter dresses that the girls like to wear can be cumbersome in seated poses. I have stumbled across very few seated poses that work well with a skirt. In addition, try shooting in open shade to be rid of the harsh light and strong shadows. Vary the camera angle and watch out for background distractions before you press the button.

I hope you take this for its constructive nature and show us the improvements.....and again....welcome to Dgrin.

FWIW, Of any other type of portraiture, senior portraits are my favorite to do. You are more than welcome to peruse my senior galleries on an idea hunt. In addition to that, I can provide you a link to a short article about senior portraiture tips.

"My Tips For On Location Senior Portraits"

269086622_rUzXo-S-1.jpg
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ... the way her legs are crossed in the skirt is maybe a bit too leggy.

TOO leggy? Is that possible? :D

Just kidding. I agree with Jeff and would add that using a long lens with a wide open aperture is also a good idea to really focus attention on your subject.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    TOO leggy? Is that possible? :D

Just kidding. I agree with Jeff and would add that using a long lens with a wide open aperture is also a good idea to really focus attention on your subject.

Not to hijack the thread but is this the reason most of you guys use long lenses for portraits? For the more pronounce bokeh?

I am now focusing on trying to learn how to shoot better portraits, especially since I just finally got an SB-600 speedlight so I have a lot of questions. This post has helped me a lot.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • PadgePadge Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    First thing is thst the model is to central in the photograph, crop off all that empty space on the left.

Next is the obvious one as you spotted, lose the rope. It isn't that difficult to clone out, though if you are inexperienced it can seem daunting.

Just those two simple things will, in my opinion, give you a more pleasing shot to the eye.
    “It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter, because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary.”
    David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    ... is this the reason most of you guys use long lenses for portraits? For the more pronounce bokeh?

For me, yes. A longer lens also gives a more natural look to facial features and that kind of thing compared to a wider lens.

Though others like wider lenses and getting a little closer to subjects and capturing energy that way. It's all just a personal preference.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Padge wrote:
    First thing is thst the model is to central in the photograph, crop off all that empty space on the left.

Next is the obvious one as you spotted, lose the rope. It isn't that difficult to clone out, though if you are inexperienced it can seem daunting.

Just those two simple things will, in my opinion, give you a more pleasing shot to the eye.
    15524779-Ti.gif

On both counts...
    She is positioned smack dab in the middle of the frame. If you look at Jeff's example, you'll notice she is positioned in the left third. Cropping most of the left away should create a more pleasing effect.

I'm no good at cloning yet but removing the rope would help as well.

Speaking of Jeff, I have you not looked through his senior pic portfolio, I would encourage you do so. Marvelous work and a treasure trove of ideas.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing more.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook