Indian Head Penny

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited January 8, 2009 in Holy Macro
Good Afternoon Folks (and a belated Happy New Year to everyone :thumb)
A friend of mine sent me this picture to show the detail of the penny. He was impressed with the macro ability of his Canon S3 IS. I'm not sure if he drilled the hole, but the coin would have been worth about $800 (give or take) to a collector without it, since the 1877 is a rare 'key date' coin.
Don, if your lurking, sorry to break the news to ya :cry
Have a good afternoon :D
Jim...

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Not a bad shot overall. A tad weak around the edge. Coins are incredibly hard to photograph well.
    I can tell you that the hole has been there a long time and was holed using a nail or hole punch.

With more than 17 years in the rare coin business I have seen many old "Key" dates with holes and worse. For most people this coin was worth 1 cent, and to some still is.
    Steve

Website
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Not a bad shot overall. A tad weak around the edge. Coins are incredibly hard to photograph well.
    I can tell you that the hole has been there a long time and was holed using a nail or hole punch.

With more than 17 years in the rare coin business I have seen many old "Key" dates with holes and worse. For most people this coin was worth 1 cent, and to some still is.
    Good Evening Steve,
    Glad to see another Numismatist around here thumb.gif My Aunt gave me a copy of the Red Book of Coins, way back in 1964, that I still pull out every once in a while just for fun. Thanks for the comment. I'll pass it on to him.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
    edited January 7, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Glad to see another Numismatist around here thumb.gif

The coin business is how I got my start in photography. My first boss wanted to build an image library of the great and rare coins passing through our office. My personal image collection contains just a tad over 250,000 of the biggest and best U.S. coins.
    Loved the business, but after spending 20 to 30 weeks on the road each year, I needed a change.
    I now shoot coins for some of the auction houses and coin firms while staying at home :D
    Steve

Website
    edited January 7, 2009
    The coin business is how I got my start in photography. My first boss wanted to build an image library of the great and rare coins passing through our office. My personal image collection contains just a tad over 250,000 of the biggest and best U.S. coins.
    Loved the business, but after spending 20 to 30 weeks on the road each year, I needed a change.
    I now shoot coins for some of the auction houses and coin firms while staying at home :D
    Hey Steve,
    Any shots of the (real) 1804 Silver Dollar, or the 1913 Liberty Head Nickel ? I saw that one years ago at the Smithsonian. They wouldn't allow pictures at the time :cry A friend of mine actually bid on an EX F 1896-s Quarter and an BU 1875-cc 20 Cent piece from one of the old Bowers & Ruddy Galleries auctions. He came up short of course rolleyes1.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
    edited January 7, 2009
    I have seen all 5 of the 1913 Liberty Head Nickels, 6 of the 1804 Dollars, 5 of the Brasher Doubloons, all 11 of the 1933 Saints but have never owned any. I did work for a company who has owned several of these though, and did get to hold them.
    However, if you PM your email address, I will send you the link to my better stuff including some really cool and rare currency.

But since you asked for rare, how about this:

450988332_UWrBS-M.jpg
    Steve

Website
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Afternoon Folks (and a belated Happy New Year to everyone thumb.gif)
    A friend of mine sent me this picture to show the detail of the penny. He was impressed with the macro ability of his Canon S3 IS. I'm not sure if he drilled the hole, but the coin would have been worth about $800 (give or take) to a collector without it, since the 1877 is a rare 'key date' coin.
    Don, if your lurking, sorry to break the news to ya :cry
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...

You know I live in Australia, well when I was a kid I found one of those Indian Head Penny's in our backyard under the Plumb Tree buried in the ground....... I have no clue how it got there.

The centre of the coin appears to be quite sharp, but the outer edges,
    especially on the lower right side of the coin are distorted.

I think it's still a pretty good shot thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Seriously here very old coins of 18th century belonging to different countries can be purchased only for few dollars. Never knew they can worth $$$ !!!!! i think i should get few of them and sale on Ebay eek7.gif need some L glassss :D

Great photo !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited January 8, 2009
    I have seen all 5 of the 1913 Liberty Head Nickels, 6 of the 1804 Dollars, 5 of the Brasher Doubloons, all 11 of the 1933 Saints but have never owned any. I did work for a company who has owned several of these though, and did get to hold them.
    However, if you PM your email address, I will send you the link to my better stuff including some really cool and rare currency.

But since you asked for rare, how about this:

450988332_UWrBS-M.jpg
    Morning Steve & thanks for the link thumb.gif
    You have an excellent photographic collection of both coins & currency. You may want to post that link for others to enjoy. Although it was never proven, the portrait on the 1792 may very well have been Martha Washington, as well as some of their melted silverware used in some of the coins. I'm not 100 % sure, but I think they made a few of the 1792's in copper. Thanks again.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • photofiphotofi Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 8, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Any shots of the (real) 1804 Silver Dollar
    I have a shot of my 1804 silver dollar (I still believe that it's a real one not a fake :D ). Even even so, it's good for ebay auctions lol3.gif