The Next lens I am buying is...

tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
edited January 10, 2009 in Cameras
Hello everyone. I thought after reading part of the title of another thread that it would be interesting to see what everyone is waiting for next!

What is your next lens that you want to get?
This could be the dream lens that you want to save forever and ever for or the actual next lens that you are realistically going to by (IE... i will never buy the canon 400mm 2.8L IS)

For Me:
My next lens that I am going to buy is the

Canon EF-s 10-22mm

I really want to start doing more outdoor and wide angle travel related phtoography. Thinking about getting one for the cruise I am going on for spring break!!!
5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com

Comments

• brian.conaghanbrian.conaghan Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Lenses
    Personally, I just got back from Christmas with my 16-35 f/2.8 which I love. I would pick it over the 10-22 since it can go on the nicer bodies in the future, but of course it is not quite as wide as 10.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    I am rebuilding my kit from scratch, so there are many things on my list:

1. Canon 100mm/2.0 or 2.8 Makro (can't decide)
    2. Wide angle lens for fullframe (Sigma 15-30 or Canon 17-40)
    3. Canon 70-200mm/4.0 L IS (and trade my Sigma 80-400 against a TC)

... this hobby is expensive!
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    My next one is the 17-50 f/2.8
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    My next one is the 17-50 f/2.8

The Tamron? I just got one (used for a great price) and llluuurrrrrrvvveeeee it!
  • jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    The Tamron? I just got one (used for a great price) and llluuurrrrrrvvveeeee it!

Diddo for me, I got one a few months ago and it hasn't come off my camera. Awesome lens! As far as the game goes my next lens is probably gonna be upgrading my 50mm 1.8 to the 1.4 version.
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro Or Pentax DA 55-300 3.5-5.6

Probably the macro, I want to shoot flowers and bugs this summer. thumb.gif
  • LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    ...is going to be a Canon EF-L 100-400. Can't wait...wings.gif
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”
  • eichert12eichert12 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Can't decide but recently moved to a full frame camera and have my eye on the:

135 2L
    16-35 2.8L

Thinking I need to find something used since my photo budget has been wiped out by other purchases :)
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    tjstrider wrote:
    ... i will never buy the canon 400mm 2.8L IS
    headscratch.gif

Why not? Never as in can't justify the $$? ne_nau.gif
    Maybe it won't be your next lens (title of the thread), but be careful: saying never :heh is dangerous. The internet can come back to haunt you lol3.gif

Oh, the 300 f/2.8. Then the 400 f/2.8. Those would be mine. deal.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Well, if I was rich it would be these:

Zuiko 14-35 f2
    Zuiko 35-100 f2
    Zuiko 90-250 f2.8

Would only set me back about $9,000...

One dayiloveyou.gif
  • theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, or Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 if someone can convince me (it won't be hard) it's worth the 200+ more. mwink.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
  • codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    I just picked up a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, what I'm trying to decide is whether or not to keep it. In addition to front-focusing issues (which could be addressed by sending it in for calibration, probably), I'm a little disappointed in the image quality. Keep it, or send it back and save the money towards a Canon 70-200?

--Ian
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Yep, the very same. Glad to know folks love it that much:D
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Yep, the very same. Glad to know folks love it that much:D

Double ditto. Got the 17-50 a few days before the baby arrived and it was a LIFESAVER in the dark hospital room. Awesome lens.

My next lens will be the Tamron 90mm 1:1 Macro.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    My next lens will probably be the 16 -35L but I am dreaming of the Canon 200 2.0L...when I win the lottery (which of course I have to play first).
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Well, if I was rich it would be these:

Zuiko 14-35 f2
    Zuiko 35-100 f2
    Zuiko 90-250 f2.8

Would only set me back about $9,000...

One dayiloveyou.gif

I've had my eye on these same three......It's not easy or cheap to be an Olympus supporter! But I love my evolt e-500thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,882 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Just ordered the new Tamron 18-270 with image stabilizer, to be used on my old 300D (Digital Rebel) Have been using the 28-135 IS, but prefer the range of the Tamron. The 300D is only used for my motorcycle trips.

My next lens will be the EF 16-35 2.8L II (for use on the 1D MkIII) or the 70-200 2.8L IS (on the 5D and 1D MkIII). But that order will be placed in the very far future. Even further into the future if I decide to order a 5D MkII
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    The next lens I think I'll want will be the EF-S 17-55is. Or maybe a 24-105 since currently I have a gap from 50-70. Or maybe just go whole hog and get a wide-aperture telezoom .... Or.... Or..... :D

But for the time being I am DONE. Oh, I know it won't last, but I'm going to enjoy these few weeks where I feel appropriately geared up for my needs before the next bout of lens-envy hits... :giggle
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    I think I am going to sell my 105mm f/2.5 AIS, as I wasn't too impressed with it (maybe a bad egg..?) and got a 90mm f/2.5 MF macro lens anyway, so it's a bit redundant to have both.

I am debating between a 50mm f/1.4 AF lens for general purpose photography and low light, and a DX wide angle lens. The 50mm lens would be a part of my eventual FX kit (when the bodies are reasonably priced), but I'm not sure how much more it would give me over my 60mm f/2.8 Micro, and I worry about not having the close focus ability I currently enjoy. But the performance at infinity would be better, and having a couple extra stops and better AF speed would be nice. The wide angle lense would be great, but I worry about it being made obsolete in the near future. :\
  • wizzywizzy Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    codrus wrote:
    I just picked up a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, what I'm trying to decide is whether or not to keep it. In addition to front-focusing issues (which could be addressed by sending it in for calibration, probably), I'm a little disappointed in the image quality. Keep it, or send it back and save the money towards a Canon 70-200?

--Ian
    I got the same feeling about thatlense. I sent it in for calibration, it was a bit better, but I expected better IQ. I must say I use it rarely now I bought the Tamron 17-50 F2.8, that is a keeper. Using it all the time.

I got the Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR on my wishlist now, but i have to save a bit to be able to afford that one.. :( But it WILL be the next one I buy :)
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    codrus wrote:

--Ian
    I just added the 70-200 f4 L to my camera bag (still catching my breath) and will say that I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices in Canon's 70-200 family. The f4 non-IS, which I own, doesn't get the rave reviews of the IS lens, but it's at least as sharp at f4 as my sigma 150mm macro at f4 (that's zoom wide open vs macro stopped down eek7.gif) and the autofocus on the 40D blows my mind. And let's remember, this is the least expensive 70-200 canon makes...
  • WolftepWolftep Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    My next lens will be:

Zuiko ED 50-200 F2.8-3.5 SWD

I should be getting it just after the tax refund shows up in my bank account.
  • M.MoranPhotographyM.MoranPhotography Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    tjstrider wrote:
    Hello everyone. I thought after reading part of the title of another thread that it would be interesting to see what everyone is waiting for next!

What is your next lens that you want to get?
    This could be the dream lens that you want to save forever and ever for or the actual next lens that you are realistically going to by (IE... i will never buy the canon 400mm 2.8L IS)

For Me:
    My next lens that I am going to buy is the

Canon EF-s 10-22mm

I really want to start doing more outdoor and wide angle travel related phtoography. Thinking about getting one for the cruise I am going on for spring break!!!

50mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8.

P.S. If there was a 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5, similar to what sony has, in the works; then I would consider that purchase as well, and sell my 18-70mm.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 9, 2009
    Nikon 10.5 Fisheye
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I won't be making any new lens purchases for a while due to lack of funding and an overall happiness for now w/ my current line up... but when I do I'm considering the following:

16-35 f2.8 (the widest thing I have for my camera is my 35 1.4 currently, so it would be nice to get a fast zoom that would also give me some extra wideness for when I need it, plus since I got rid of the 17-55 EF-S when I moved to full frame, this would still cover a decent portion of that range on my crop body)
    or
    85 1.2 (85 1.8 if I end up being too cheap). If I got an 85 1.2 I might considering getting rid of the 50 1.4... but right now it's a fabulous lens for the price.
  • Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    The next lens on my mind right now is a Canon Telephoto L-series...
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • two slowtwo slow Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I'm debating between the 17-50mm, 16-85VR or a D300 body.
    D50, 28-105mm, 150mm, 300mm f/4
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    70-200 F2.8 L
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Gadget_GirlGadget_Girl Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    1)CANON EF 16-35MM F2.8 L II this is the one I really want but will probably purchase the
    2)CANON EF 28MM F1.8
    3)CANON EF 100MM/2.8 USM MACRO AF
    Cherie-Lynn
    SM Web Site
    SIS Web Site
    Blog
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50D- Canon EF 28mm 1.8, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Sigma DC 18-200mm OS
    Canon Speedlite 580 EXll X2, PocketWizaed Plusll x2
    Mac

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film. ~Author Unknown[/FONT]