I picked up a Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM...

videotape74videotape74 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited January 8, 2009 in Cameras
I just picked up a Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM used for $250 Canadian and it's in excellent/mint condition with front/rear caps and he also included a EW-73 II lens hood in the price. He said that he's upgraded to L glass and he wanted new shooters/amateurs to get use out of his older lenses since he wasn't using them.

I took a few shots with it to test it out, also tested the AF etc and all seems fine. Do you think I got a good deal and if so, what are your experiences with the lens if you've shot with one?
Nikon D200
Nikon 60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro Nikkor
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX
Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    I have that lens and it is good enough that I use it to backup my EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L USM for professional work. Color and contrast are great and very good, respectively.

At f5.6 it is very sweet indeed, but usable at f4-f4.5.

The distortion on the wide end is a bit more than I would like, but it is correctable fairly easily in some image editing software if you notice it. By 35mm distortion is all but gone.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    $250 for a mint sample are a pretty normal price. The lens can be found for less at times but seldom in mint condition.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston