Moon Shots, and Random Thoughts...

EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited January 9, 2009 in Landscapes
Do you ever think of that certain time of the year when the Moon is just right in the sky to get that perfect shot?

Do you just add one whenever with Photoshop?

Out here in So. Ut, we have such amazing rocks and mountains, and constant changing colors.

http://www.fatali.com/gallery/StoneTemples/BackofBeyondL.jpg http://www.sedona.biz/fatali5.jpg
I'm not sure if these are PS'd or not, but sure awesome. The first one sells for over $11K

Do you ever look at a certain rock formation or landscape and know just where you're going to set up and wait for that magic moment when then late afternoon sun is hitting the rocks as they turn with amazing color?

These are things I look at all the time, but never get around to catching that perfect shot.

Not sure how many times throughout the year that the Moon is just coming up as the sun is just going down.

My sweet wife bought me the awesome YES watch, and now I look that much more forward to getting out on that perfect spot. But I'll either be working late or out of town.

24-Hour-Bezel.jpg
442815418_6F2pX-M.jpg

One of the more awesome shots I remember seeing was on this site, a monument with the Moon but I think it was even PS'd.

I'm not against adjusting the colors, highlights, shadows, cleaning up an image, but I'd like to capture one of the few times of the year when its "just right" but maybe I'm wasting my time waiting...?

Next full Moon on the 10th...:wink

Comments

• scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    those pics are nice, the second one looks a bit suspect to me.

but that is definitely a rockin watch, I want one.
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Sometimes its a matter of luck...

451169801_BdhQk-M.jpg
    Transatlantic flight and moon.

And sometimes a matter of knowing when to look...

185453986_DhT9N-M.jpg
    Moon rising over Clydebank, Scotland.

185453999_PDY9s-M.jpg
    Partial solar eclipse, 2005.

If you get a program like 'Carte du Ciel' or similar, you can work out exactly where the moon, sun, planets, etc are going to be relative to each other and any local geography.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    Out here in So. Ut, we have such amazing rocks and mountains, and constant changing colors.
    I'm surprised a moderator hasn't mentioned this yet, but we frown on embedding other's folks work in this forum without permission, and especially without attribution. I'm assuming you don't have Michael Fatali's permission to post his photos, right?
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    True, I can remove them, Those are just some really neat examples.

Osiris, some great shots, lets see some more!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Michael Fatali times everything perfectly, sometimes he stays on-site for weeks waiting for magic to happen. sometimes it takes years for one of his photographs to be acually captured.
    he uses only film and works his own lab.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 8, 2009
    Michael Fatali times everything perfectly, sometimes he stays on-site for weeks waiting for magic to happen. sometimes it takes years for one of his photographs to be acually captured.
    he uses only film and works his own lab.

Apparently sometimes he gets tired of waiting...

Charges Filed Against Photographer
    October 19, 2001 (NPS): SALT LAKE CITY - A seven-count Misdemeanor Information filed in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City this morning charges Michael Fatali (DOB 10-1- 65) of Springdale, Utah, with several violations of federal law in connection with fires federal authorities allege he started at two national parks in Utah. Four of the fires damaged the area around one of the national park system’s most recognizable icon: Delicate Arch located within Arches National Park.
    Fatali, who apparently used the fires as a photographic technique, is charged with injuring or defacing mineral resources in a national park; unauthorized fire in a national park; lighting or using a fire that damages or burns national park resources; leaving a fire unextinguished on public lands; and aiding and abetting. Each of the seven misdemeanor counts carries a potential maximum prison sentence of six months and a fine of up to $5,000.

Source: http://www.canyonland.info/arch/2001.htm
    edited January 8, 2009
    yup, that is one heck of a deal....
    Aaron Nelson
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I'm surprised a moderator hasn't mentioned this yet, but we frown on embedding other's folks work in this forum without permission, and especially without attribution. I'm assuming you don't have Michael Fatali's permission to post his photos, right?

The images are not imbedded, but linked. Is linking images a violation?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited January 8, 2009
    So what brand of watch is that? It's pretty dang cool.
    Jeff Meyers
    edited January 8, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    The images are not imbedded, but linked. Is linking images a violation?
    He did go back and removed the embedded images, and replaced them with links. Look at the "Edited" timestamp at the bottom of the post.

Personally, I'm not that wild about providing a link to an image either, as there is no context nor attribution. Much better to provide a link to a webpage on the site where the work is posted. Like this: http://www.fatali.com/gallery/details.php?id=75&gid=5&
    edited January 8, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    He did go back and removed the embedded images, and replaced them with links. Look at the "Edited" timestamp at the bottom of the post.

Personally, I'm not that wild about providing a link to an image either, as there is no context nor attribution. Much better to provide a link to a webpage on the site where the work is posted. Like this: http://www.fatali.com/gallery/details.php?id=75&gid=5&

Oh, sorry, thanks for the correction. I should have thought about checking if it has been edited. Forgive me.
    Jeff Meyers
    edited January 8, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Forgive me.

Well, ok. rolleyes1.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    kdog wrote:

I was not around much yesterday/last night so I missed this. I see that the photos have been corrected and while your suggestion is of course ideal, we only have hard rules against embedding photos that you don't have the rights to post.

That is one very very very nice watch. Hope to see some moon shots from you soon! :D
    edited January 8, 2009
    Osiris, some great shots, lets see some more!

Cheers thumb.gif I really should get back into shooting the sky and stars, but our weather makes it such a pain. There are far better moon shots on Dgrin anyway.
    edited January 8, 2009
    Cheers thumb.gif I really should get back into shooting the sky and stars, but our weather makes it such a pain. There are far better moon shots on Dgrin anyway.

And the few times I've tried they dont turn out as expected. Its not always easy to get that big glowing ball of light exposed just right while trying to keep the foreground exposed too.

Thats why I was wondering if some of the 'postcard' awesome shots are just PS'd. I was at a convenient store the other day in line, and looking at some of the postcards, and they just seem too good to be real.

I know Fatali uses film and cant wait to see what he comes up with when he starts shooting with his new custom LF camera.thumb.gif (let alone any venture into the moving picture arts)
    edited January 8, 2009
    the more you experience doing yourself the easier it is to spot a phoney.
    Aaron Nelson
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    If your in the US, I use this url to time the moonrise/sunset every month, in my effort to get a perfect moonrise

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

395867781_KXy6K-L.jpg
    Rags
    edited January 9, 2009
    torags wrote:
    If your in the US, I use this url to time the moonrise/sunset every month, in my effort to get a perfect moonrise

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

395867781_KXy6K-L.jpg

Now that is amazing! Must of been with a long lens?
    edited January 9, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    So what brand of watch is that? It's pretty dang cool.

Its the YES watch. Yeah I was a geek in high school. Now still a geek, but with gadgets! :D I've had just about all the T-Touch's, they're cool and functional, but this YES watch is just fun! And much better looking in person, and I'm really liking the 24 hand. One hand is better than two, and the 12 on top and bottom is the best!

Bjorn, the guy who invented it is awesome, and it makes it that much more cool when you can talk to your watch maker!
    edited January 9, 2009
    This is a good time for moonshots...
    The biggest full Moon of the year is coming this weekend. It's a "perigee Moon" as much as 14% wider and 30% brighter than lesser Moons we'll see later in 2009.
    http://www.spaceweather.com/
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Rags
  • moonfiremoonfire Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 9, 2009
    my first post...

We're in a more rural area than we used to be, so I can take advantage of the low light conditions when the moon is full and positioned behind our home :)

9-14-2008-2.jpg
    edited January 9, 2009
    Kim, welcome to Dgrin. Really nice shot.. would look even better with some contrast enhancement and sharpening thumb.gif
  • moonfiremoonfire Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 9, 2009
    Kim, welcome to Dgrin. Really nice shot.. would look even better with some contrast enhancement and sharpening thumb.gif

Which is why I need to be here :) I use PaintShop Pro X2... adjustments in there will help? I seriously rarely use my editing software for anything other than cropping and such. How do you know which settings are right? Do you all just go by what *you* see? This is what I did with the contrast and sharpening adjustments.

9-14-2008edit.jpg