Canon G 10

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited January 9, 2009 in Cameras
Has anyone seen or purchased this. It looks amazing.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    Tons of folks, including Andy, Marc, Nightingale, of the top of my head.

reallyrightstuff.com makes a great right angle bracket for it for tripod use also. It shoots neat multi frame panos too.

I know there are lots more as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Regular forum search won't find "G10" but the google custom search, will. Use the search and check out the relevant threads on the first page of results.

20090108-q99ydngfh6wws556x83s1rq9kg.jpg
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    heres some images from dgrinners

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=114641
    Aaron Nelson
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    It's getting raves. And it doesn't have video (does it eek7.gif)!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 8, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    It's getting raves. And it doesn't have video (does it eek7.gif)!
    it has video, i think the complaints are its not HD video....

i was curious how long it would shoot video so i sat it on my desk using a 8gb card it ran for 45 minutes... however i havent figured out how to watch it on my computer yet....it wont run like a avi does
    Aaron Nelson
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    edited January 8, 2009
    it has video, i think the complaints are its not HD video....

i was curious how long it would shoot video so i sat it on my desk using a 8gb card it ran for 45 minutes... however i havent figured out how to watch it on my computer yet....it wont run like a avi does

Is there no escaping the video infection of our gear. It's like all those slime horror movies. :eat

Thanks for the awful reality, Aaron! clap.gif

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Is there no escaping the video infection of our gear. It's like all those slime horror movies. :eat

My gut reflex is like yours, Neil--who needs it? But I guess the marketing guys have seen a niche and don't want to see the competition fill it. As we have seen in a number of posts here, in the right hands, the 5D Mk II can produce stunning video results. I can certainly understand why wedding pros and photojournalists are excited, even though it does nothing for me. In the end, the only thing that matters is whether a camera can do what you want it to do. I still lust after the new 5D, but if I ever get one I will try to avoid using the video, as that would only lead me to want a powerful Mac to run Final Cut Pro. lol3.gif

In any event, the G10 appears to be a highly capable P&S. It also has automatic mode, but I wouldn't hold that against it. :D
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Has anyone really explored the G10's video potential? What's the resolution? Is it a feature that might be used if "capturing the moment" was more important than high resolution? For example, in an action situation, like capturing a bat hitting a ball, would the video allow you to go back and extract a usable still of the precise moment?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited January 8, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    My gut reflex is like yours, Neil--who needs it? But I guess the marketing guys have seen a niche and don't want to see the competition fill it. As we have seen in a number of posts here, in the right hands, the 5D Mk II can produce stunning video results. I can certainly understand why wedding pros and photojournalists are excited, even though it does nothing for me. In the end, the only thing that matters is whether a camera can do what you want it to do. I still lust after the new 5D, but if I ever get one I will try to avoid using the video, as that would only lead me to want a powerful Mac to run Final Cut Pro. lol3.gif

In any event, the G10 appears to be a highly capable P&S. It also has automatic mode, but I wouldn't hold that against it. :D

rolleyes1.gif

Words of wisdom. Richard thumb.gifD

edited January 8, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    Has anyone really explored the G10's video potential? What's the resolution? Is it a feature that might be used if "capturing the moment" was more important than high resolution? For example, in an action situation, like capturing a bat hitting a ball, would the video allow you to go back and extract a usable still of the precise moment?

i think your main problem with something like BB is there is not much telephoto reach ....

im using the G10 for the silly moments my kids produce so often....
    but like i said, i havent looked into how to view the files on my computer...

i cant imagine a still off the vidoe would produce anything close to a actual photo from the camera...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 8, 2009
    NeilL wrote:

i agree fully in regard to DSLR's

but for this G10 or any P&S its so much nicer having both video and snapshot combined into one little package!
    Aaron Nelson
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    i think your main problem with something like BB is there is not much telephoto reach ....

im using the G10 for the silly moments my kids produce so often....
    but like i said, i havent looked into how to view the files on my computer...

i cant imagine a still off the vidoe would produce anything close to a actual photo from the camera...

I completely agree/expect that the still image quality will be lacking if captured from video. I was just curious if the video quality from the G10 was enough to extract a usable still 5x7 or maybe even a 8x10. BB was just an example; there's other activities, too, where the "fleeting moment" might be brief or infrequent enough to be able to capture otherwise without special equipment or a lot of luck. :giggle

I've got a G10 on order, and am looking forward to using it when my DSLR might be too much to carry! My current P&S is an aging Olympus 3MP that still works pretty good. I have a waterproof housing for the Olympus, so plan to keep it for waterbased activities.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com