Options

When to use Aperture and Shutter Priority or always Manual?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 8, 2009 in Technique
OK... so over the last few months, I have really concentrated on shooting exclusively in Manual mode. I have gotten quite good at it and have noticed a dramatic improvement in my captures. I more frequently get more acurately exposed images but also, I am able to capture the image more creatively by being able to dial in the correct aperture or shutter speed to capture the feel I want in the picture.

So when is it smart to use one of the semi-auto modes like aperture or shutter priority? Or do you guys always shoot manual?

Sometimes I find myself in situations where I am just not quite fast enough to dial in everything in manual and I miss the shot. For example, while shooting pictures of my 2 year old nephew as he is playing. Should I be using one of the other modes in situations like this?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Sometimes I find myself in situations where I am just not quite fast enough to dial in everything in manual and I miss the shot.

You've hit the nail on the head, it allows you to let the camera adjust either shutter speed or aperture to get a 'correct' exposure. Unless you are shooting scenes that would throw off the metering system, I would use aperture priority mode.

If you need the fastest possible shutter speed then aperture priority set to maximum will give you the best result (just set the ISO appropriately, i.e. higher is faster). If you need a certain depth of field for nice bokeh or exposure bracketing, then it is also the best mode.

The only use I have personally found for shutter priority mode is when using strobes that have a maximum synch speed (e.g. 1/200 sec).

Remember that it is just as easy to exposure compensate in the 'priority' modes as in manual. If you are shooting a dynamic event.. like some weddings or sports, then 'M' is for 'Masochist' :D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    So when is it smart to use one of the semi-auto modes like aperture or shutter priority? Or do you guys always shoot manual?

If light conditions are changing rapidly, Av or Tv might help you. When you know that you want a certain aperture or speed for whatever reason, the semi-auto modes (combined with EV tweaks) just simplify your life. I usually shoot in Av, except when I am using flash or am dealing with an unusually difficult situation. In those cases, I switch to manual.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    As you and Richard said, the automatic modes can be very useful when you don't have enough time to manually adjust the exposure for a shot and the conditions are not constant or predictable enough that you can preset your camera accurately.

As such, I use aperture priority most of the time. It gives me the ability to control depth of field for the shot and/or go wide open to get the max available shutter speed at a given ISO (useful for sports or other fast action). I keep my eye on the shutter speed and if it drops lower than I want, I up the ISO.

Another interesting option is Program mode. I am familiar with this on Nikon's, but I assume that Canon has something similar. In Program mode, you can set either the shutter speed or the aperture (one with front dial, the other with rear dial) and the camera will adjust the other setting according to the metering. It's kind of a hybrid between shutter priority and aperture priority. While many people look down on this mode as a "beginner's mode", there are situations where I've found it useful particularly when the action is quick (so not enough time for manual) and when you sometimes want to control shutter speed and sometimes want to control aperture. I use this in target rich environments like outdoor parties or events where I may be switching back and forth between several different types of shooting and may be turning fill flash on and off.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    The only use I have personally found for shutter priority mode is when using strobes that have a maximum synch speed (e.g. 1/200 sec).
    I used Tv mode almost exclusively when shooting karts and motocross. I'd set a shutter speed that would give me the amount of wheel blur and background blur I wanted, either lots, a bit, or a little.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Very cool information. I thought I was on the right track so this information reinforces it. Using Manual mode exclusively was for "training" purposes. Now that I got it down pretty well and understand metering a lot better I am ready to stop torturing myself with trying to get everything dialed in quick enough to get the shot.

I can see that I would properly use A-priority the most. And use S-priority when shouting action to get desired effects.

BTW, as I mentioed, I just got a speedlight SB-600 so I am not trying to learn flash photography. I've read many posts and other info on the web and I think I have a pretty good handle on the function and theory behind iTTL and iTTL-BLThanks guys. But one thing I haven't quite found is whether shooting in Manual mode is better or should I be using Aperture priority?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    If you are shooting a dynamic event.. like some weddings or sports, then 'M' is for 'Masochist' :D

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

may i add, a dynamic event like your children in silly mode!!!

Av = kids
    M = tripod bracket expos and panos
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    anonymous,

I have a few more reasons to consider Manual Mode. As you say, generally, if the light is stable, then your exposures are more consistent from frame to frame. I agree that for kids and candids, that Av can be more useful - IF you are not shooting flash! Tv is useful for sports and motorsports for the reasons previously mentioned.

If you are shooting flash, having your camera in MANUAL MODE, allows you to photograph the subject properly exposed by the flash, and the background exposure is controlled by your aperture and chosen shutter speed which has no effect on the strobe lighted subject. You may need to have your speedlite in High Speed Synch or whatever Nikon calls it.

In Av, I think the Nikon system is like Canon, the camera picks the shutter speed to expose the background and can be quite long in dark rooms, while the subject is illuminated by the flash.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    ahhhhh...something you said about the P mode just clicked in my head. I was always wondering why the heck you would ever use the P mode when you have A and S modes.

It's so that you don;t have to switch back and forth between modes if you feel like chanigng aperture or shutter speed. Duhhhh!

Thanks for the AHA moment!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com