Finally caught him

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited January 11, 2009 in People
In case any of you were wondering why I mostly post photos of my daughters and not my son- it is because he is hard to catch in a willing moment! He is much more interested in Legos and army guys than being handsome for the camera. Whereas the girls love it! But this time, he ASKED me to take photos and there was no way I could say no.

I knew the window of opportunity was only open for a brief moment, so I didn't take the time to properly set up lights or move him or anything. This is on camera flash with the head turned to camera right with an entire piece of printer paper rubberbanded to the flash head to diffuse it and create a nice reflector. I think I could almost fool someone that it was OCF.

This is Andrew: He is 10 and camouflage is one of those things that is practically part of his body.

1. On this shot, I had him lean forward toward me from the bar stool. I love how it captures just a smidgen of the energy that this boy has. (trust me) I might clone out the back of the bar stool if I get all ambitious- we'll see about that.
451021073_Wpuqe-M-1.jpg

2. Different frame, but nearly the same with a nice warm conversion.

451020246_TJcdQ-M.jpg

3. Did I mention that I love his freckles? Well I do. All 10 year old boys should have them if they possibly can. Wish he hadn't squished his face quite so much, but am still so happy it is him in the photo- and looking halfway decent to boot!

451023252_6bXYc-M.jpg

4. He is approaching pre-adolescence- with all its obsession with bodily function sounds- and my feelings match his pose in this one. No, actually I bribed him with a few silly shots to get some handsome ones. Worked like a charm.
451019363_bVb6V-M.jpg

5. Then he was done, but I hadn't taken nearly enough photos to satisfy the need. It is dark outside and way below zero... not a lot going on here right now, so I decided to do some self portraits. I'll apologise ahead of time for the crazy hair. I was using the timer and flinging myself into the chair before shutter went off. Also it was tricky to get into the DOF since I wanted it pretty shallow. I really need to get a remote shutter release.
451027137_ZHvB3-L.jpg

6. Same light set up as with Andrews photos.

Ok, I'll admit that I look pretty nice in these photos- in fact I think much better than IRL- even though they are straight out of the memory card after the conversion. To tell the truth, I think I am a much better photographer than model. 5/4 crop
451025812_8wWyo-M.jpg

7. There is only so much you can do with a pose after setting the timer, running and cheesing out for the photo. Somebody tell me how to hold my hands, please. Cause that is not it.

Also, my light setup stunk out the house for this pose with those harsh shadows. Still I am a fan of how you can see my new highlights in the photo so well. Sorry guys, girl talk.
451025421_3WRtY-M.jpg

C & C are always appreciated.

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Nice shots Heather. #3 is definately my favorite!!!thumb.gif

I was using the timer and flinging myself into the chair before shutter went off. Also it was tricky to get into the DOF since I wanted it pretty shallow. I really need to get a remote shutter release.
    451027137_ZHvB3-L.jpg

Self portraits are definately tough....for all the reasons you mentioned. I got my taste of it earlier this week trying also to use a shallow DOF...albeit with a 70-200 zoom outdoors....more distance to run!

As far as SP's go, these are about as good as I have ever seen. Much better than mine. Of course, perhaps you chose a better model and photographer than I did. Great job.

...and oh by the way.....your sis has got nothin on you!mwink.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Great shots you got here Heather!!!! iloveyou.gif and I love your self-portrait!!!!! You look way to you to have such a big "boy" / teenager!!! iloveyou.gif

Big fan of 1 & 5 ... but is cute too ... I would maybe try to darken the background (in PS), and have a full black pic with you in the right corner, would look beautiful!
  • JeriAmrineJeriAmrine Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Great shots! I like the 2nd one with your son looking up into the camera. You're right, he's got great freckles!! You last self-shot is my fave. Selfs are tough, but I think you did a great job.
    Jeri

www.jeriamrinephotography.com

Gear: Canon XTi, some Canon lenses, a few filters, lights and other gadgets I'm not quite sure how to use...yet!

Always wanting new glass....

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Wonderful handsome boy shots! You've got to get those in when you can. Freckles are awesome!

Your SPs are terrific! I especially like #5...the crop, conversion and the hair. Nice flash work, too.

Nicely done, Heather! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Talented AND beautiful -sheesh. What is it with all these good looking dgrinners who produce gorgeous kids and also take stunning pictures???!!? headscratch.gifeek7.gifD:D

(And the highlights look great too! Gotta keep the girltalk afloat occasionally :)
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Self portraits are definitely tough....for all the reasons you mentioned. I got my taste of it earlier this week trying also to use a shallow DOF...albeit with a 70-200 zoom outdoors....more distance to run!

As far as SP's go, these are about as good as I have ever seen. Much better than mine. Of course, perhaps you chose a better model and photographer than I did. Great job.

...and oh by the way.....your sis has got nothin on you!mwink.gif

Ok Jeff, now I AM blushing. :hide Thanks for the extra nice comments.

How in the world did you do that with your 70-200? Man it was so hard even with the camera in arms reach. I must have tossed 30 photos because the focus wasn't right. By the way, I have the HARDEST time recognizing your posts with your new avitar.
    edited January 8, 2009
    By the way, I have the HARDEST time recognizing your posts with your new avitar.

Hahahaha! Me too! rolleyes1.gif(but I still think it's a great pic!)

Hmm. Y'all are inspiring me to get back to the self portraits project and do a few more in (hopefully) different styles..... headscratch.gif
    edited January 8, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Great shots you got here Heather!!!! iloveyou.gif and I love your self-portrait!!!!! You look way to young to have such a big "boy" / teenager!!! iloveyou.gif

Big fan of 1 & 5 ... but is cute too ... I would maybe try to darken the background (in PS), and have a full black pic with you in the right corner, would look beautiful!

I was trying to avoid that "floating head" look with my dark sweater against the black leather... But I bet you mean I should darken the wall. And I am assuming you are talking about # 6 ?

Oh and by the way I just turned 30... and found *gasp* a grey hair! Horrors! Somedays I feel older than others. But I'm plenty old enough to have a 10 year old kid. And "teenager" in reference to "my baby" Andrew is a bad word! Just kidding- I am still coming to terms with the fact that HE COULD BE DRIVING IN 4 YEARS.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Ok Jeff, now I AM blushing. :hide Thanks for the extra nice comments.

How in the world did you do that with your 70-200? Man it was so hard even with the camera in arms reach. I must have tossed 30 photos because the focus wasn't right. By the way, I have the HARDEST time recognizing your posts with your new avitar.

I had focused...on a fence post...then recomposed with the tripod head.....set focus to manual......lit off the timer......and ran like the dickens to get somewhere near the fence post. There was only a foot or so in that slice of focus to slide into. My face is slightly oof in the avatar shot.....maybe for the better.

...and don't get too comfy with the avater....I might just change it next week.....keep up!

as for the blushing...well....we could all use a dose of that now and then...

...I think it's well placed...
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Great shots. I love the first SP.

Were you like 9 years old when you had your son??ne_nau.gif
    edited January 8, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Wonderful handsome boy shots! You've got to get those in when you can. Freckles are awesome!

Your SPs are terrific! I especially like #5...the crop, conversion and the hair. Nice flash work, too.

Nicely done, Heather! clap.gif

Freckles are my favorite! I am always thankful that especially HE has them. They hide his nasty scars from a car accident we were in when he was 3.
    But they really seem to show up in this lighting. Ah well, it is part of his face. And I am partial to that for sure.

(You liked my crazy hair? I thought for sure I would get flayed for the hair in my face)

Thanks Elaine
    edited January 8, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Great shots. I love the first SP.

Were you like 9 years old when you had your son??ne_nau.gif

Nope, close! 20... Which I appreciate because the fact that I am 20 years older than him makes it easy for me to figure out how old I am. And the older I get the harder it is to do!
    Thanks Mitchell
    edited January 8, 2009
    JeriAmrine wrote:
    Great shots! I like the 2nd one with your son looking up into the camera. You're right, he's got great freckles!! You last self-shot is my fave. Selfs are tough, but I think you did a great job.

Thanks! I appreciate it!
    edited January 8, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Talented AND beautiful -sheesh. What is it with all these good looking dgrinners who produce gorgeous kids and also take stunning pictures???!!? headscratch.gifeek7.gifD:D

(And the highlights look great too! Gotta keep the girltalk afloat occasionally :)

And so when I need a "pick me up" I just push my "divamom button" and she says something really sweet and everything is better.

And thanks for the comments about the highlights. After having it done at the salon a bazillion times, I figured out how to weave in the highlights with the foil on my daughter's hair and have done that several times... and then last week I talked my mom through how to do it on MY HEAD. It was scary (since my hair is about 3 feet long and would take forever to grow back) but it turned out just fine.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    I was trying to avoid that "floating head" look with my dark sweater against the black leather... But I bet you mean I should darken the wall. And I am assuming you are talking about # 6 ?

Oh and by the way I just turned 30... and found *gasp* a grey hair! Horrors! Somedays I feel older than others. But I'm plenty old enough to have a 10 year old kid. And "teenager" in reference to "my baby" Andrew is a bad word! Just kidding- I am still coming to terms with the fact that HE COULD BE DRIVING IN 4 YEARS.

Oooops sorry ... I was talking about #7 :D ... Haha ... don't even get me started about grey hair ... my husband just recently told me that he doesn't think I'm getting any new ones ... THAT IS because there are already SO many on my head, that they don't stick out anymore!!! Now ... the question is ... who is giving me those headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited January 8, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I had focused...on a fence post...then recomposed with the tripod head.....set focus to manual......lit off the timer......and ran like the dickens to get somewhere near the fence post. There was only a foot or so in that slice of focus to slide into. My face is slightly oof in the avatar shot.....maybe for the better.

...and don't get too comfy with the avater....I might just change it next week.....keep up!

as for the blushing...well....we could all use a dose of that now and then...

...I think it's well placed...

I am laughing at the mental picture. Where did you pick up your camera in the mean time? And I am always willing to welcome strange people er I mean new people on to d grin so go ahead and change your avatar- won't be anything new. And my face was pretty oof in the 3rd SP. After a little sharpening and if you squint it looks fine.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Love the photos of your boy!

I'm very impressed with your self portraits- much better than mine. I turned 30 this past year, too. And I have a 12 year old girl who likes 18 now with her new short hair cut. Very confusing to outsiders!

Caroline
    edited January 8, 2009
    And so when I need a "pick me up" I just push my "divamom button" and she says something really sweet and everything is better.

Now you've got ME blushing!

But honestly, between you and Jeff and MItchell (and all the others who I've inadverently and unintentionally left off because I can't remember their screennames).. all these spectacularly gorgeous kids AND great pictures... it's very intimidating to us lesser mortals - if you weren't all so nice I'd have slunk off ages ago in intimidated despair....

As it is... yer STUCK WITH ME!!! (neener neener blbl.gif) :D
    edited January 8, 2009
    Love the photos of your boy!

I'm very impressed with your self portraits- much better than mine. I turned 30 this past year, too. And I have a 12 year old girl who likes 18 now with her new short hair cut. Very confusing to outsiders!

Caroline
    Thanks Caroline- He is rather cute, huh!
    As to the SP... I chose a pretty flattering angle for the photos, proving to myself and all the world that anyone can have a lovely photo taken of them.

Funny about you and your daughter- I bet she gets a kick out of it!
    edited January 8, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Now you've got ME blushing!

But honestly, between you and Jeff and MItchell (and all the others who I've inadverently and unintentionally left off because I can't remember their screennames).. all these spectacularly gorgeous kids AND great pictures... it's very intimidating to us lesser mortals - if you weren't all so nice I'd have slunk off ages ago in intimidated despair....

As it is... yer STUCK WITH ME!!! (neener neener blbl.gif) :D
    thumb.gifFine with me!

You would think that we are all models by the way you talk. I can vouch for this family and myself that we are not. Just regular, ordinary looking folk with a crazy mom that likes to take photos and has a few tricks up her sleeve. Don't feel intimidated at all! And we are all becoming rather partial to you as well.

Meeting of the mutual admiration society... adjourned! :lol
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Excellent...Both of you!

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
    edited January 9, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    Excellent...Both of you!

thumb.gif
    Why, Thank you!:D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I feel like I'm coming to the game real late what with all the posts in this thread.

I love these SPs, #1 and #5 absolutely rock. thumb.gifbowdown.gifiloveyou.gif

And, as for these not being representative - well, we can just compare them to your avvy and we all can see that these SPs are not a fluke. I think Jeff said it best when he said that your sister has nothing on you - and she's gorgeous!

More of the mutual admiration society input here... I wonder how common it is. A woman with a camera --> she's bound to be beautiful. Thinking about all that I've met, DGrinners (both IRL and on-line) as well as those in the local photography club and some friends - I can't think of a single exception to this "rule."

Us guys on the other hand. I can't/won't talk about other, but me .... well my avvy makes me look way better than I do IRL - much better!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I love 6 and 7. Gorgeous SPs. Criminey, woman, you are stunning! And look mischievous to boot in those last two, which is why I like them so much. Your personality shines through. clap.gif
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I really like #1 of him and #5 of you. Great set!
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Great Photos!

I like #2 & #7 the best.

One thing I like about the D300 is the timer options 2,5,10 or 20 sec.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited January 9, 2009
    As an addendum to this, I will say that y'all inspired me to do another small batch of SPs this evening - I decided I'd mix work and pleasure and set up the camera to frame me practicing while sitting at the piano. Due to, uh, user error on flash placement and the consequent Shadows Of Your Nightmares (big oops) I will NOT be posting them, but hope to try another batch at some point. But this thread is what reminded me to go try some more, so thanks!!

Oh, and Heather, look at it this way: if you're NOT as gorgeous IRL as in your photos (which I don't believe yet :), this simply proves that you're an even better photographer than we thought so either way it is inescapable that you rock! mwink.gif:D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    As an addendum to this, I will say that y'all inspired me to do another small batch of SPs this evening - I decided I'd mix work and pleasure and set up the camera to frame me practicing while sitting at the piano. Due to, uh, user error on flash placement and the consequent Shadows Of Your Nightmares (big oops) I will NOT be posting them, but hope to try another batch at some point. But this thread is what reminded me to go try some more, so thanks!!
    Ah, go ahead and post them. If nothing else, it'll give the rest of us either something to laugh at or something to make us feel better about our work:D
    divamum wrote:
    Oh, and Heather, look at it this way: if you're NOT as gorgeous IRL as in your photos (which I don't believe yet :), this simply proves that you're an even better photographer than we thought so either way it is inescapable that you rock! mwink.gif:D
    Yeah, I like the way you say this!!iloveyou.gifwink:lol4
    edited January 9, 2009
    I feel like I'm coming to the game real late what with all the posts in this thread.

I love these SPs, #1 and #5 absolutely rock. thumb.gifbowdown.gifiloveyou.gif

And, as for these not being representative - well, we can just compare them to your avvy and we all can see that these SPs are not a fluke. I think Jeff said it best when he said that your sister has nothing on you - and she's gorgeous!

More of the mutual admiration society input here... I wonder how common it is. A woman with a camera --> she's bound to be beautiful. Thinking about all that I've met, DGrinners (both IRL and on-line) as well as those in the local photography club and some friends - I can't think of a single exception to this "rule."

Us guys on the other hand. I can't/won't talk about other, but me .... well my avvy makes me look way better than I do IRL - much better!

Scott- you are so nice!

It is cracking me up all this talk about me being like my sister. Well, in fact there are 4 of us girls and we all have a lot of the same facial issues / blessings. Meet the sisters:

Amberly (the one that everyone is referring to... she is IMHO the beauty of the family)
    338780602_3VfQL-M-1.jpg
    Lacey- the youngest...and most recently married.
    308902111_boNJb-M.jpg
    Muah- I am the oldest and that makes me the bossiest. I actually think that this photo is the best ever taken of me in my entire life except for my drivers license...ne_nau.gif (Which when I saw my DL it I asked if I could make prints! I am going to be sooo sad when it expires!) This was my first SP project from last Easter. Again- great angle and posing does the trick.
    271561366_zLCu5-M-1.jpg

And then the attached image is Bethany. I am not sure where in this post it will show up since it is attached. I don't have a photo that I took of her since she lives far, far away in a land called "Denver". And I don't know if they have SLRs there.rolleyes1.gif

Anyway... I always get a kick out of family resemblances. I thought you all might too.
    edited January 9, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I love 6 and 7. Gorgeous SPs. Criminey, woman, you are stunning! And look mischievous to boot in those last two, which is why I like them so much. Your personality shines through. clap.gif

Mischievous? Me?:cool

Thanks Kerri-