What is your portable set up?

happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited January 9, 2009 in People
What do you bring with you when you go to your shoot (rather than shooting in a studio...) Backgrounds, lights, lenses, etc?

Comments

• RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    What do you bring with you when you go to your shoot (rather than shooting in a studio...) Backgrounds, lights, lenses, etc?

Depends.....

Outdoor, I might bring 3 speedlights, stands, umbrellas, soft-box, couple of 5 in 1 reflectors, gotta bring the 70-200 f2.8, 16-35 f2.8, 85 f1.8, tripod, light meter.

I have a bag that I keep in the truck with all kinds of odds and ends. Water, pain killers, pony tail bands, scrunchies, cover-up, brush, comb, hair gel, duct tape, Velcro strapping, survival blankets (handy reflector), various sunglasses, frame wire, box cutter, and all kinds of other weird stuff. Great to have just in case.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Depends if I can shoot near the car or if I have to hike gear in!

Near the car, I bring everything-- c-stands, battery packs, sand bags, beauty dish-- whatever will fit in the car! Oh yeah-- sometimes even the dog. :D

If I have to hike in, I prefer an AB Vagabond and two lights, a softbox and couple umbrellas and stands. Though portraits can usually be shot with a hotshoe strobe or two (off camera on lightweight stands) and some modifiers.

And you know, other times all I take is a reflector and someone to hold it.

EDIT: just re-read your post-- I have other times where I will bring a studio to a client. Paper background, four or five lights and modifiers-- the works. This is popular with clients who need a lot of web catalog shots and want a quick turn around.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+