1D Mark II or 1D Mark II N?

collegephotoguycollegephotoguy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited January 10, 2009 in Cameras
I've decided to purchase one of these cameras but can't decide which one to get. Are there really any significant differences, other than price? Also, is there a downside to getting one of these used as opposed to new since used ones seem to be a lot less expensive. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 9, 2009
    I've decided to purchase one of these cameras but can't decide which one to get. Are there really any significant differences, other than price? Also, is there a downside to getting one of these used as opposed to new since used ones seem to be a lot less expensive. Thanks for the help.

I've not seen a new 1D MKII/IIN in over a year. They were replaced by the 1D MKIII which was announced Feb 2007. I would be very suspicious about anyone that claims to have a new copy.

The 1D/1Ds is Canon's professional line and it has the most durable construction of all the Canon cameras. The 1D MKII/IIN have shutters rated for 200,000 actuations and the mirror box assembly is similarly durable.

The primary differences between the 2 models are in the user interface and buffer capacity. Both cameras share the same AF sectiion, imager, image processor engine, exposure mechanism, battery and charger, and basic layout.

The MKIIN does have a larger shot buffer, a larger LCD display, a slightly different menu and better selections for using the 2 memory card slots.

Considering the cost differences between the 2 models, the original MKII is a remarkable value if you can find a good, gently used copy.

I have 2 copies of the MKII and have not felt a need to replace them yet.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I've not seen a new 1D MKII/IIN in over a year. They were replaced by the 1D MKIII which was announced Feb 2007. I would be very suspicious about anyone that claims to have a new copy.

The 1D/1Ds is Canon's professional line and it has the most durable construction of all the Canon cameras. The 1D MKII/IIN have shutters rated for 200,000 actuations and the mirror box assembly is similarly durable.

The primary differences between the 2 models are in the user interface and buffer capacity. Both cameras share the same AF sectiion, imager, image processor engine, exposure mechanism, battery and charger, and basic layout.

The MKIIN does have a larger shot buffer, a larger LCD display, a slightly different menu and better selections for using the 2 memory card slots.

Considering the cost differences between the 2 models, the original MKII is a remarkable value if you can find a good, gently used copy.

I have 2 copies of the MKII and have not felt a need to replace them yet.

Personally, I'd get the 1DMklln. It does also have picture "styles". I was using both a mkll & mklln at a 4 day PBR event, taking thousands of pictures. It was visually very easy to tell which camera took which pictures. All pics were using monolights.
    (Of course were talking jpg's here, which a lot of sport shooters need to shoot)

I found that curious & tried to set the mkll settings to match the "pop" produced by the mklln (default settings), but could not. YMMV

Anyway, that's my .02 worth
    Randy
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 9, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Personally, I'd get the 1DMklln. It does also have picture "styles". I was using both a mkll & mklln at a 4 day PBR event, taking thousands of pictures. It was visually very easy to tell which camera took which pictures. All pics were using monolights.
    (Of course were talking jpg's here, which a lot of sport shooters need to shoot)

I found that curious & tried to set the mkll settings to match the "pop" produced by the mklln (default settings), but could not. YMMV

Anyway, that's my .02 worth

When the Canon 1D MKIIN was introduced it came with the "Standard" Picture Style and "Auto" WB as default. Former users complained to Canon that the color balance in daylight was off and the contrast was too high. Canon responded for those users to switch to "Faithful" style and Daylight WB when shooting in a daylight situation.

It all really boiled down to using what ever worked best and then that turned into what ever you became used to.

The 1D MKIIN "Standard" picture style does seem to be very similar to a MKII:

Parameters:
    Sharpness - Increased (your choice)
    Contrast - Increased

Color Matrix:
    3H Sat

... just in case you want to try.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • collegephotoguycollegephotoguy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Thanks guys! Very helpful.