Beach Portrait Practice...

DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
edited January 9, 2009 in People
Here's one I did a few months ago, Ive been gone a lot lately so haven't been posting much. Thought Id see what everyone thought about this one. I went out that evening hoping to do some sunset pictures, but the sun faded too fast and left us in the dark....

399706367_6wXzY-L.jpg

Comments

• Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I like your lighting here and the gold tone in the sand. What was your set-up? Is your sand naturally that gold? Here in Oregon we freeze in the water in the daytime even in the sun. Can't imagine being in the water at night.

I like the bathing suit with the shirt and tie but I keep looking at this and there is something about her body position/face angle that is just not sitting right with me. Maybe I'm just conditioned to look at model shots on the beach with the head lower than the hips? Maybe because we can't see the arch in the back and/or very little of the hips? Not sure.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    My set up on this shot was an on camera flash (Canon 580EX) and one Nikon Speedlight (Nikon SB-24) directly behind her for some rim light. The sand did turn a little gold like that when the flashes hit it, but I did slightly warm up the picture in post also. And I think your right she probably looks a little awkward cause you can't see her back, so it is hard to tell her orientation. Thanks for the comments!!!!

P.s. She was a little chilly in the water after the sun went down ;)
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I like the composition and the model.thumb.gif The lighiting in general is good as well except I would like to see more hair light. The light benaath her crotch is distracting as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com