Pictures from the D90

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited January 9, 2009 in People
I received my D90 on Wednesday and then was given the 50mm 1.4...how cool is that? I have been wanting to get a portrait lens for a long time. I'm so excited! I also bought pastel pink seamless paper and was going to post pics of my daughter on when (taken with the d40x) but decided to wait to post those with the ones from the d90 and 50mm. Bear in mind that my model hasn't been so willing lately and won't let me get my lights just right.

Taken with the d90/50mm
451698180_bcdx9-L.jpg
451698133_4YEum-L.jpg
451697703_hKcys-L.jpg
451697038_ZSiWn-L.jpg
taken with the d40x 18-55mm lens
447514356_Fe3ct-L-1.jpg
447512891_oR6gt-L-1.jpg
447511548_D7k7v-L-1.jpg

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I iloveyou.gif #4.

She has the neatest colors in her eyes!
    Congrats on the new camera! Now go shoot up something! (And bribe your little one to help you!)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I received my D90 on Wednesday and then was given the 50mm 1.4...how cool is that? I have been wanting to get a portrait lens for a long time. I'm so excited! I also bought pastel pink seamless paper and was going to post pics of my daughter on when (taken with the d40x) but decided to wait to post those with the ones from the d90 and 50mm. Bear in mind that my model hasn't been so willing lately and won't let me get my lights just right.
    How cool is that. These came out smashing! And, 15524779-Ti.gif with Heather - she does have the neatest eyes! But, Heather's wrong about which is best mwink.gif - I think #6 is the best/cutest portrait of the lot.

As for getting the lights right, do you have a light meter you can use to dial in your lights? If so, you can do that, then grab your daughter for a could of quick shots. Just an idea.

Edit: Looking at the photos again, I see a significant variation in white balance and skin tones. The first looks pretty good on the monitor at my 9-5 (uncalibrated) but the rest seem to have a significant red/pink cast to the skin tones. If so, it MIGHT be light reflecting off the seamlessne_nau.gif
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I love #6 -- the lighting looks pretty good to me, and the pose is fun and natural looking.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Haha, I actually really like #3. You have SUCH a cute little daughter, she's adorable!! iloveyou.gif
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Some great pics!

I like it when a series is posted and everyone likes a different pic. Means they are all good. My favorite is #4 though. Her eyes are very captivating.

glenn
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Awesome photo series and what little cute model.clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    great pics.. I have a D40 and thinking about upgrading. let me know how you like the camera after the honeymoon is overthumb.gif
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    neastguy wrote:
    great pics.. I have a D40 and thinking about upgrading. let me know how you like the camera after the honeymoon is overthumb.gif

will do. :D

I just found out that I need to remember to look at the ISO and make sure that it's on the right number. I just shot this same little one in our field and realized I had it on ISO 500. Bummer...but there isn't that much noticeable grain. I think you will like it....clap.gif
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    How cool is that. These came out smashing! And, 15524779-Ti.gif with Heather - she does have the neatest eyes! But, Heather's wrong about which is best mwink.gif - I think #6 is the best/cutest portrait of the lot.

As for getting the lights right, do you have a light meter you can use to dial in your lights? If so, you can do that, then grab your daughter for a could of quick shots. Just an idea.

Edit: Looking at the photos again, I see a significant variation in white balance and skin tones. The first looks pretty good on the monitor at my 9-5 (uncalibrated) but the rest seem to have a significant red/pink cast to the skin tones. If so, it MIGHT be light reflecting off the seamlessne_nau.gif

I agree...the seamless is casting a pink hue to her. How do I combat that? I don't have a light meter yet. I would like to though. Will have to wait for awhile after this purchase. lol
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I agree...the seamless is casting a pink hue to her. How do I combat that? I don't have a light meter yet. I would like to though. Will have to wait for awhile after this purchase. lol
    I've never used colored seamless - but I would guess controlling the light would be the way to go. Proper use of grids, barndoors, snoots, that sort of thing. This would include lighting the background seperately from the model as well.

I've started down this path, using this site as a starting point. There might be some information there that could help you as well.