HS Boys' Basketball

bikingbetsbikingbets Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
edited January 12, 2009 in Sports
I only had time to shoot for one quarter of a boys' game; my first time for boys after many games of girls....all I can say is WOW! Much more action and chances for good shots (photog and jump, :D ).

Still working on white balance issues in this gym...what do you think?

Thought I'd share a couple since I haven't posted in a while:

449958261_R9Fpm-L-2.jpg

2. I realize it's crooked but decided to leave it so I could keep the ball in the photo.
449958229_2cTUh-L-2.jpg
Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM , 580EX ll

Comments

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    good captures...thumb.gif I see this school still has the old lights...most of the schools around here even the small ones are going to the florescent lights...it is way better
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • bikingbetsbikingbets Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Thanks for commenting Dave!

Yep, we still have the old lights. Where I live, school districts would rather spend money building football stadiums with artificial turf fields while (in Obama's words), "clinging to their guns and religion." rolleyes1.gif

We have many classes being taught in trailers but we have our nice football stadium! ne_nau.gif
    Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM , 580EX ll
  • shiningstarsshiningstars Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I'm having the same problem with white balance and the old lights- terrible! My question is how to fix it. I keep seeing others pictures with awesome color and low noise. Any help on how to fix or work on the white balance?
  • attorneyjayattorneyjay Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I'm having the same problem with white balance and the old lights- terrible! My question is how to fix it. I keep seeing others pictures with awesome color and low noise. Any help on how to fix or work on the white balance?

Shooting in RAW and post-processing afterwards is the best option. Otherwise, twiddle with your custom white balance controls as best you can before shooting and hope the lights don't cycle so much that you are left with a bizarre variety of hues. You can somewhat adjust WB jpegs afterwards with post-processing software but this will be hit and miss since every gym's lights will pose different WB problems and there's only so much you can do with jpegs after the fact.

When shooting jpeg I've found that adjusting my "Custom Image" control to "Natural" instead of "Bright" helps limit the severity of unwanted hues and increases the image's adjustability in PP.

Another option is to use flash or strobes but this is a lot more work and cost, especially strobes. Also, your continuous shooting mode will not be as useful if shooting with flash. Some venues discourage or prohibit floor level flash.