Self Portrait - Opinion on B & W treatment

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited January 18, 2009 in People
Didn't like the picture in color much. Not to crazy about the border I applied. But over all, I like the B & W conversion. What do you guys think?

448603757_TCRTg-L-1.jpg
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Yes, lose the border. Otherwise, I like it. It would look cool with a subtle vinette, and a little more grain, but that's a matter of personal style. I usually end up with several different versions my photos I like.

Caroline
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I really like this conversion. The B&W adds to the emotion of the image. The border doesn't necessarily bother me; however, the fact that you are not crazy about it immediately says loose it. The image should be an extension of your vision. Unless a client is specifically looking for something different, then you are the most important client. thumb.gif
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    At first I liked the border, but after I viewed it a few more times, I'm niether here or there. Thanks for the comments guys. When are we going to see more SP of you Caroline?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I really like the conversion, but agree that you need to lose the border - it makes me look at your ear before the rest of the picture :)

It reminds me of the mood/look of some of the James Dean bw's (particularly the cigarette pose) - if that's the look you were going for, you nailed it! thumb.gif
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif Very nice composition Frank! I'm on the fence whether I would like your face to be more in focus or your hand as is, but that's my personal taste.
    edited January 9, 2009
    The verdict is in the border is gone when I get home. And the focus of the shot was actually the action of my hand and the cigarette I'm lighting. You can't see what I'm doing, but I'm sure you know what I'm doing. That was my what I intended to do. Tell the story without telling the story.

I'll loose the border, add a little more film grain and hopefully I have a selfportrait winner. Thanks for all of your comments! I'll post the final shot when I get around to processing it tonight. Enjoy your day.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Very nice high-key portrait, and I agree about losing the border. I found it distracting.
    edited January 16, 2009
    Okay, I got rid of the border and I added a little more film grain. Thanks guys!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Didn't see the prior version, but this one is at or near the top of the heap.
    thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    From my monitor a touch more contrast? But I agree it looks good in black and white and I like the crop. But you didn't your momma ever tell you not to smoke? :D Keep em coming....
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    Didn't see the prior version, but this one is at or near the top of the heap.
    thumb.gif

I didn't see it either by I really like the feel of this one.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Very, very nice!

Virginia

Email
    edited January 18, 2009
    Thanks a lot guys! I removed the old shot from my smugmug. I should have had them side by side for you to compare. But I love this one better than the other one. Thanks for the input. And thanks for the wonderful comments.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    I don't know how I missed this one - it's been up a week and I'm just now seeing itne_nau.gif

I like the B&W treatment and the rather high-key processing and the grain. These all work quite well.

What is blowing the image for me as a self-portrait is the focus. To my mind, a self-portrait (or any portrait for that matter) should talk about the person depicted. With this image, our focus is drawn to the hand because it's in sharpest focus and at the front of the image. Next we are lead to the the cigarette, and from there, finally, to the face.

So the question, for me, becomes, "Is this photo about smoking? Or is it about a person, who just happens to be smoking at the time?"