practice pregnancy pics (7)

alluiciousalluicious Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited January 17, 2009 in People
ok, so this is my first picture post and I know that it's not the best, but I guess that's why we post, to get better???

Anyway, I took pics of my friend who is 8 months pregnant. I know that the pink background (sheet) needed to be ironed, but it was a last minute decision to use it and there was no time as her other kids were getting restless.

Please let me know what you think.

1. IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0541-1.JPG

IMG_0700-1.JPG

IMG_0665-2.jpg

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    They need more contrast.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    wave.gif - Welcome to the game!!!

For all of them, move your model further from the background - this will allow it to go OOF.

Watch your focus - in the first one, she does not look in focus.

#3 - What's the image subject, mom or the background. You need to light the subject.

4, 5 - contrast

6 Contrast - find something that is white and make it white. Find something that is black and make it black. This is done with any one of a number of tools. Curves will work. So will proper use of the levels adjustment layer.

7. Need to seperate your subjects from the background - can be done with a little off-camera light placed in an appropiate location.

Looking forward to seeing more of you!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I agree about adding contrast. I think the last one could look really nice in black and white, especially once you add some contrast. #5 also has great potential.

Caroline
  • jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    While I agree with the others about the contrast, I *love* the expressions in #5. The smile on the little girl's face is perfect!
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    This is one of the very few maternity shots that I REALLY like
    IMG_0783.JPG

I don't like maternity shots, they are the one of the few types of shoots that I will always try to avoid. I find so many of the poses very cliched. But this one, I really like the bow around the belly.

The other ones, well, others can and have mentioned lighting, and I am kinda a newbie in that department...

On posing..

The first one, the arm that she's leaning on, try to turn her hand in some more, bring it more towards her body than away from it. And the arm on her leg, if you have her bring it down and hold her belly, that will emphasize the pregnancy, which is of course the point of the shoot. As she is posed right now in one (and six, which I think is the same as one, just changed to b&w) it's hard to tell she's pregnant.

On three, I can tell she's holding she sheet to her body, maybe tie or pin it in the back so that her arms look more relaxed. Same thing with four. Otherwise, I think the poses themselves are pretty good, five as well.

Number seven, she's looking at one of her children, I think having her look at the belly would be better...though it looks like the kid she was looking at might have been getting a scolding or getting ready to get a scolding, so I suppose she might have been looking at the belly up until you snapped the shot:D
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Welcome alluicious :)

I love the shots where the other children are included. Nice :) I do agree that they are too washed out, but you've already got lots of advice on that :)

Thanks for sharing!

-- Lisa P.