Nikon 18-200mm lens creep?

GitaGita Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited January 9, 2009 in Cameras
I'm thinking about buying a new lens and want to get Nikon's 18-200mm. I've read that lens creep is an issue. Does anyone know if Nikon fixed the creeping? If you have this lens and it creeps, is it so bad it's not worth the cost of the lens? Does the creep get worse with use? Thanks for your input.

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Gita wrote:
    I'm thinking about buying a new lens and want to get Nikon's 18-200mm. I've read that lens creep is an issue. Does anyone know if Nikon fixed the creeping? If you have this lens and it creeps, is it so bad it's not worth the cost of the lens? Does the creep get worse with use? Thanks for your input.

I have one that I purchased 6 months ago. The only time that I notice creep is when the lens is hanging from my shoulder. It has no impact on my shooting with it.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 9, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif

No problem when I am shooting.
  • dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    It can be a pain if the camera is hanging straight down, but it's not a problem in use and wouldn't put me off buying it again. The only time I could see it being a problem is if you wanted to put it on a tripod pointing up or down and take photos without being around to stop it creeping. That said it also depends on the exact copy you get, I think mine is one the worse ones in this respect.
  • GitaGita Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 9, 2009
    Looks like three thumbs up. Thanks everyone! :D
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I have one but do not experience this problem, but on my D300 it does not point down it might do that on a D60 or 40.
    I love this lens it is always on one of my cameras.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/