Where to buy - UK / EU

kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited January 11, 2009 in Cameras
I'd appreciate some feedback from the Euro folks. I did not see anyone ask this sort of question yet, so here goes:

From a bit of searching, there are vast differences between different countried in the EU. I am specifically shopping for a Nikon D700, and a Nikkor 24-70 F2.8. I thought Switzerland is reasonable with prices, when compared to France where I live anyway, but buying that combo in the UK is close to SFr 1000 / £600 / US$ 900 cheaper than Switzerland! Shock!

So, I will probably be buying in England... that way I can get the manual in English.

But just a quick check: Which country in the EU is the cheapest to buy photographic equipment from? (I would like to have a valid Nikon warranty).

Now, about retailers in the UK:

Calumet Photographic ships to France. This is good. From what I have read, they seem to be pretty good too. Jessops is about the same price. Who else can I look at, and is a trusted vendor. Any ideas, thoughts or advice?

Thanks... Kev.

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I shopped in Jessops brick-and-mortar stores regularly when I lived in the UK. I never mail-ordered, but the stores were fine (they had excellent used departments then too, even in the smaller stores).

HTH.
  • ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Jessops are good for a high street retailer, also consider the following who I have used for mail order and found the service very reliable

Bristol Cameras - www.bristolcameras.co.uk
    Calumet - www.calumetphoto.co.uk/
    Jacobs Photographic - www.jacobsdigital.co.uk
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
  • kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Jessops & Jacobs do not ship outside of the UK or Ireland. Bristol do ship... thumb.gif