crop suggestion?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited January 11, 2009 in People
Hey all. This is Kalina, beautiful girl I had the pleasure of photographing today. I am loving this expression but not liking the way it is posed due to the elbow sticking out kinda funny I think? Does anyone have a suggestion of how to crop so that it will look better? c/c also welcome! Thanks for looking :D

451990003_9Fdeh-XL.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    What a beautiful shot! Incredible perfect exposure with that white on white on white.
    I am not bothered by the elbow one bit! I have one and so do most people looking at this photo.mwink.gif

I tried to think about a vertical crop landing somewhere on her forehead but it just wouldn't work. It would end up cutting the bow or leaving that strand of hair.... No I say leave it and love it because it is pretty amazing. I would be stoked about a shot like this. (Of course I don't do studio- so take that as far as you want)
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    How's this.... Just tried to get rid of the dead space under the elbow that you were unsure about.. Looks good to me either way though! Very pretty Shot!!

• Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Nope on the crop...I like the original better. I don't see any reason to crop this wonderful photograph. I definitely wouldn't crop off any of her arms. I agree with Heather...the elbow is nice and naturally positioned...just like any child looking over the back of a couch.

You were lucky to get the expression you did...very relaxed and natural.

Way to go...nice...really.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    gorgeous high key shot! The elbow look fine to me. The only crop I might suggest is the space ont he right so to off center the eyes some
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    gorgeous high key shot! The elbow look fine to me. The only crop I might suggest is the space ont he right so to off center the eyes some
    15524779-Ti.gif

My first 2-second take was to crop a little from the right (to just about her sweater but not into it) but I also think that it is fine as it is. Excellent shot! How much light did you throw on the backdrop?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Here is a different idea. (Great picture, by the way.)

Sam
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Wonderful photograph! Sam....I love what you've done here..excellent!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Thanks for the kind comments. This was a dream shoot. Cooperative and beautiful girl. I think that modeling will be in her future! I'm gonna probably leave the picture the way it is. But Sam I am loving the design you did! Where'd you get that? Did you make the background or is it a template? It will be good if I make her a card to send out to the modeling agencies. Here are a few more from her shoot. She was loving being a fairy!

Mike J. I lit the white background with a white lightning x1600 on full power at -3f. with a 18x36 soffstrip Funny thing is I was having issues with hot and cold spots on the white so I did some net research and came up with moving the light farther away from the background, so I moved it about 6 inches and it worked out perfect! Very little PS adjustments! woo hoo!

452121606_dDRDG-XL.jpg

452124242_2m5a4-XL.jpg

452122725_EEoBL-XL.jpg

452123204_KDu5z-XL.jpg

452123709_fdD4a-XL.jpg

452122178_qHAwa-XL.jpg
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Nope on the crop...I like the original better. I don't see any reason to crop this wonderful photograph. I definitely wouldn't crop off any of her arms. I agree with Heather...the elbow is nice and naturally positioned...just like any child looking over the back of a couch.

You were lucky to get the expression you did...very relaxed and natural.

Way to go...nice...really.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Very nicely done and what a cute child too!

The only flaw I see is the rose has threads coming away from it.

great series and processing otherwise!

cheers, tom
    tom wise
    edited January 10, 2009
    Sandy,

These are GREAT shots! She can definitely make some big bucks modeling.

Sam

PS: No template, just fiddled with it in Photoshop a little.
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Sandy, excellent series. Great lighting and nice natural poses.

The only thing I would try to do I get rid of the hot spots on the lips on #1. Other than that, they are flat out gorgeous.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    simply amazing love everyone of the pics gorgeous little girl also.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    How about this crop, Although I LOVE them all as is...KUDOS!!

452343282_TCFgc-M.jpg
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Here is a different idea. (Great picture, by the way.)

Sam

Sam...can you tell me how you lightened the white edges the picture before you put the leaves over?
    edited January 10, 2009
    Sam...can you tell me how you lightened the white edges the picture before you put the leaves over?

Sandy,

Basically I sampled the little girls lips to get the pink color. Then I made a fill layer under the little girl using this color. After rotating the image you can use a mask, or just use the erasure tool. Pick a soft edge brush, dial down the opacity, and gently brush away the edges to taste. Then use a brush with a design on it to dab leaves or other paterns around the image.

Sam
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    +1 for liking the first crop the way you have it originally. :)

What a beautiful girl and fantastic photos!!

-- Lisa P.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    fantastic!