How bout a little Potato?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 10, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
This is shot of Potato... well half of Potato. Potato is my 2 year old female pug. I'm thinking about entering this photo in the DSS 16 Challenge but not too sure. I've been busy all week and have had no time to go out an shoot so when Potato just sat there and stared at me, I thought why not take a few shots of her. She is cute.

So what do you think? What can I do to make this shot challenge worthy or am I wasting my time? Is the half crop OK or too dramatic? How about the B&W conversion?

452134080_UMnXv-L.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    #2 - tuned down the highlights
    452153464_oThAZ-L.jpg

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    #3 - Slightly different crop... More negative space to the right.
    Also sharpened it a bit and added a warming filter:

452172214_hg2XA-L.jpg

My Smug Site
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Also sharpened it a bit and added a warming filter:

452172214_hg2XA-L.jpg
    I like it.. we have a 16 year old! Pug named Pootie.. I like the name Potato!!
    Courtney
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Haha I love the pug!! My sister in-law has one and even though it is kind of crazy it makes for some great pics!!

Here is Jin

http://burnso.smugmug.com/gallery/5133418_BXT4v/1/310144971_T9NGQ
    edited January 10, 2009
    Very cute pug. We actually have three. AND an 80 lb. yellow lab. Yeah, that's right, four dogs. Yes, we're crazy.

Do you guys see any blocky artifacts in that last crop? On the right side of the image in the background. Someone made a comment that they could see it on their monitor but I don't see it.

My Smug Site
  • sheashotmesheashotme Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2009
    thumb.gifI think its a great shot, its almost like he's saying "I've got my eye on you"
    452153464_oThAZ-L.jpg
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    I like #2 with the hightlight downs. The "warm tones" seem to make it look more like an attempt of sepia tone...but not there. I like the black and white.
    edited January 10, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    I like #2 with the hightlight downs. The "warm tones" seem to make it look more like an attempt of sepia tone...but not there. I like the black and white.

OK... here's the B&W without warming but with the wider crop. I also cloned out the stray whisker on her right cheek.

452431226_TjoaF-L.jpg

My Smug Site