DSS 16 - Feedback please

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 11, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I posted this in the Other Cool Shots forum as well but thought I post it here to here feedback you all as well.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've had no time to go out and shoot. My little girl Potato was sitting there staring at me, almost posing and my camera was within reach so I snapped a few shots of her. I kind of like this one so I worked a little with it.

What do you guys think? Does the crop work? How about the B&W conversion? Should I scrap this one and home to have time to shoot over the weekend?

I'm calling it "How's about a little Potato?"

452134080_UMnXv-L.jpg

#2 - Little Sharperning and lessened the Highlights

452153464_oThAZ-L.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    #3 - Slightly different crop... More negative space to the right.
    Also sharpened it a bit and added a warming filter:

452172214_hg2XA-L.jpg

My Smug Site
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Also sharpened it a bit and added a warming filter

The dog is better in this last one. But now you have some blocky artifacts in the background black on the bottom right.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Really like that last one. I can't see the artifacts that Jeff seesheadscratch.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    The dog is better in this last one. But now you have some blocky artifacts in the background black on the bottom right.

I don't see them on my monitor. Are they on the far right side or just to the right of the dog?

My Smug Site
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Really like that last one. I can't see the artifacts that Jeff seesheadscratch.gif

Well, it may just be my monitor. I thought it might be the way SM rendered it when it's resized for a post. ne_nau.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited January 10, 2009
    I just checked 100% crop of it and don't see anything so maybe it's on your end. Anything else I should consider doing to the image?

My Smug Site
    edited January 10, 2009
    I just checked 100% crop of it and don't see anything so maybe it's on your end. Anything else I should consider doing to the image?

Personally I would clone out the one stray hair on the right side of her face.
    edited January 10, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Personally I would clone out the one stray hair on the right side of her face.

Whisker cloned out:

452434576_k3qQ6-L.jpg

My Smug Site
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Whisker cloned out:

awesome shot, love the composition
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    The one with the warming filter the best of the lot. You can see good detail in his fur. Cute shot! thumb.gif
  • KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    The one with the warming filter the best of the lot. You can see good detail in his fur. Cute shot! thumb.gif

I second it.
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Your last image is looking very nice. I love the unique comp and crop. Personally, I would tone down or clone out some of the eye highlight since it is so demanding, but that may just be me.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    These are very fun - I too like the unusual crop. The whisker didn't bother me either way (and boy, it sure serves to show how sharp your lens is!) but I prefer the warming filter version for all the reasons previously mentioned.

thumb.gif
    edited January 11, 2009
    Your last image is looking very nice. I love the unique comp and crop. Personally, I would tone down or clone out some of the eye highlight since it is so demanding, but that may just be me.

I think you should try what Emily is suggesting. thumb.gif
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Wow man, what a great shot! Excellent composition and great job with the processing. thumb.gif

I could see the artifacts mentioned above on my monitor, in the black along the bottom edge. If you bump up the brightness in your editor, the pixel blocks should come into view and can be cloned out easily.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
    edited January 11, 2009
    Thanks guys...
    Found the artifacts and cloned them out. This is the final image (so far):

453068497_RhW3e-L.jpg

My Smug Site