Ballet Performance

quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited January 10, 2009 in Sports
This was my first time photographing a live ballet performance. The lighting was really difficult as you might guess. Please give me some feedback and let me know if you have a favorite for the DSS.

#1. No title
452351211_LVkDS-L.jpg

452351090_Hgwsc-L.jpg

#3. Shadows
452350389_5G4TH-L.jpg

#4. In the spotlight.
452351810_tRvkw-L.jpg
heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
facebook
photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Hi Quark

First good job shooting in what must be very hard conditions.

For the challenge, I would choose either 3 or 4. Photo 1 is good, but would be much better framed with the empty space to the dancers right - the direction she is facing.

Photo 2 is not doing anything for me - I think it needs a black point or more contrast, the angle is not right and the last dancers foot is not the same as the others.

Photo 3 is full of life, but I would level it and crop it tighter, play with color tone to enhance the drama.

Photo 4 has really great lighting and is very nice.

HTH

ann
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I like both 1 and 4, but the eye contact is amazing in #4. What a beautiful dancer- such a presence. The lights also look cool in #4. The glimse of the other dancers gives her movement more context.

Caroline
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Thanks. I think I will focus on fixing up #4. I think Caroline's argument about context is a good one.

Any more suggestions?
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.